VINE VOICEon 27 October 2001
This book is one of the few books I wouldn't want to be without. I'm not tree hugger so I was a bit wary of this book, but instead I found it to be dense with information, inspiration & ideas.
I believe there is more to be learnt in this book about paganism than most of the "learn paganism in a week" books, and it has enhanced my divination with ogham no end.
I don't think anyone would be able to use this book to identify the trees, so you still need a decent tree book to go with it. However, in content I have yet to find another one book that covers the physiology, folklore, healing uses, magical applications, physical uses & inspirational qualities of trees in such detail, and in such an easy to read style.
on 29 January 2001
This book explores trees, from their physical descriptions to their magical properties, including legends of the trees, healing uses, practical uses and the ancient tree alphabet. I bought this book partly because I wanted to learn more about the trees I had just planted in my garden, but also the mysteries of them, and this book was perfect!
on 1 December 2002
I really wouldn't call it "definitive". If you want a book on Celtic-ish treelore then it's a lot better than most but I found myself wanting to get hold of the author and go "what about all the Germanic treelore of Northern Europe?". She includes a bit but according to the bibliography only consulted ONE book on Germanic mythology. It shows. Her descriptions of the Vikings and Saxons are cartoony - not to mention offensive in that they subscribe to the horrid macho stereotypes that those with no knowledge of Germanic culture often subscribe to. She includes a wee bit of Norse lore on apple trees but omits the Goddess Idunn. She also claims that Wassailing apple trees is a Druidic custom, which is laughable!
The author also includes runic associations with trees but gives no explanation of these or why they are chosen. Such associations might appeal to the New Age crowd who wouldn't dream of questioning the Archdruidess of Glastonbury
but some of us want to know why they contradict known primary sources such as the Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem!
If the author knows so little about tree-lore outside that which is "Celtic", perhaps she should have stuck to what she knows and this book would have been a lot better for it.
22 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 September 2013
If you like trees and you like folklore this book contains plenty to entertain and charm you. There is a chapter on seventeen trees indigenous to the British Isles, many of them common in the rest of Europe (you can see which ones by using the 'look inside' feature). Each chapter contains botanical information about the tree, sections on the legends they have inspired, the healing and magical properties traditionally associated with them, and the customary uses for their wood - from walking sticks to ships.

The book's focus is on Anglo-Saxon and Celtic legends (although it does include references to Greek myth and others); the illustrations, although nice, are not sufficient to identify the trees if you don't know them already; as a couple of reviewers have mentioned, it is not a 'definitive' guide or encyclopaedia - if, indeed, such a thing could exist for this subject matter.

It is full of beguiling stories and nuggets, however, for those who like the romance of the greenwood tree, and the whole charming effect is a bit like going for a stroll in the woods with a well-informed and chatty - some would say batty - friend.
on 11 August 2014
when I had my brain tumour diagnosed I spent a lot of time sat under a large oak tree and it made me feel very peaceful now 14yrs on and still clear when ever I feel stressed just touching a tree helps me ,bought this book to read someone else,s opinion .goes into all species of trees in detail .I told my son that the book confirmed what I thought he said no mum it just confirms that someones as mad as you ha ha read it yourself and see
on 15 February 2002
I love this book, and find myself for ever looking up trees that I have come across. There is so much information on each tree. Customs & Legend,healing, magic & inspiration, and physical uses are all covered, along with Gaelic names, runic symbols, seasons and ruling planets, and the trees habit and habitat!! It's just a really good book packed full of usesful information.
VINE VOICEon 3 May 2004
as someone recently discovering treelore I found this book very beneficial and very interesting. It is a book I find that I refer to constantly and wonder how I got by without it! It is definitely indispansable to any druid or witch in their learning and discovery. There is a smaller version available or at least similar that you can take with you when your out but, this one has more information and I definitely got more out of it than I thought I would have.
Would love to see one about herbs too in this format.
on 13 April 2015
Gorgeous book, as previous ratings before have stated it's not great on the visual... But ... It's amazing on the information and myths, history of trees and their magick. Great pagan book and a good reference. The book feels it has a warmth and love to it x
Amazing Wicca book
on 29 September 2014
this book made me more aware of the responsibility we have to preserve and protect not only the trees but all of the natural world of this beautiful planet. It also made it more clear on how trees benefit us, and interconnection we have with them.
on 28 October 2010
have had this book for a while, originally bought it for my husband but have since stolen it! It is on my bedside table as a book that i dip in to regularly. It has a really good cross section of tree information from the very practical, what the wood is used for, to the more spiritual beliefs and folk lore that surround each tree. For this reason it is a really well balanced and well researched book that will keep tree huggers happy but not scare off the non tree huggers either!