on 19 July 2008
Dig this one out of the archives so no-one forgets what a brilliant woman Paula was and what a truly fascinating life she led. The anecdotes come thick and fast and the way she slips in famous names with ease and no sense of boastfulness, often makes you shake your head and realise that she could have filled a whole library with the experiences she shared with many great and interesting people. I wish she had as I could read books written by her all day and all night - she was greater and more interesting than any of them.
on 11 March 2013
If, like me, you are a nostalgia junkie for the 80s you will love this book. Paula Yates exemplified all that was exciting and new in that era. From her involvement in shows that promoted the cutting edge of 80s entertainment to her input in one of the most defining events of the era - Live Aid, like her or not, there's no denying her presence as a true 80s icon. It's a poignant read, given her untimely death and the tragic circumstances that affected all of the people involved in her life. But it is also a witty and amusing reflection of the life of an eccentric and vibrant individual who defined what it was to be a female icon of the era.
on 17 October 1998
In the USA, Paula isn't the household name she is in the UK. However, I wanted to find out more about this woman after the death of Michael Hutchence, one of my favorite musicians. I'll be honest -- I didn't expect much. But I was pleasantly surprised. She has an entertaining style of writing. The book was excellent through her childhood, meeting Bob, The Tube, Live Aid, her children -- but it became a bit boring toward the end. The chapter about touring with the band "Take That" was totally worthless to the book. There really wasn't much revealed about the break up with Bob and the beginning of her relationship with Michael. Great photos and amusing anecdotes about some of my favorite musicians. Definitely a fun book to read if you like biographies -- I even laughed out loud a few times.
on 30 June 2002
An incredibly witty, yet often poignant recollection of the life of Paula Yates. I found the book difficult to put down and by the end of it, an admirer of this much mis-represented and tragically short-lived icon.
on 9 January 2007
This book is an amazing read. Witty, funny (sarcastic in places), I've not enjoyed reading a book so much in ages. I loved everything Paula Yates did, she was a great columnist, a great TV presenter and a great book writer, and it was very sad when she died. This book made me laugh out loud on many occaisions, I couldn't put it down - you can just imagine her in some of the prediciments she's mentioning in this book. If you want to cheer yourself up then read it, it can't but help make you feel so much happier.
on 13 March 2013
I have always liked Paula Yates and her death was so sad, this book is an entertaining light read .
on 20 September 2007
paulas sense of wit and humour came out at its best in this book, written at a time in her life when she was at her happiest, its heart breaking to think that not long after this book was published paulas life came crashing down. in this book the readers get to realise how much she loved michael and her father jess yates, upsetting to think she loses both to different circumstances later on, michael by his death and then finding out jess was not her real father..............but for paulas fans this book is funny witty and well worth reading
on 15 June 2014
I quickly became frustrated with this book. Felt like Paula was over exaggerating and trying to shock throughout, making me wonder what was fact and what was fiction.
on 19 December 2015
I really enjoyed this book.I was surprised by the quality of the writing,it was honest and very funny in places.I recommend it.
on 21 May 2016
Interesting read, especially knowing what happened after she wrote this.