on 13 April 2016
I almost gave up but persevered through a very long scene-setting with little to no dialogue and minute description, in the hope that it would eventually 'get going'. The twists and turns, however, weren't very twisty or turny as I could more or less guess what was coming round the next corner and there were no high ideals at stake - it was about money and status. The heroine's character was not very developed and her role was to solve a riddle. I can't understand why she could only be given the 'clues' over a period of time in a series of three letters, except as a device to keep the reader hanging on. I was unconvinced in respect of the love interest and in this I all but despised her at one point, for her shallowness. I won't spoil it for other readers by describing which 'point' this is.
on 29 August 2015
A truly amazing and beautiful story. The follow up to The Meaning of Night. I loved everything about the book. Towards the end I tried to read it as slowly as possible to make it last longer. These two novels by Michael Cox are up among the greats such as The Brontes Thomas Hardy and Wilkie Collins. I hope he writes another one as I will definitely be among its many readers. Thank you to Mr Cox for brightening my life with two fabulous novels.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 June 2009
The Glass of Time is a terrific story. It's a mixture of a suspense thriller, a romance with a bit of detective work too. Dastardly deeds, a string of surprises all add up to a book that is hard to put down. It's a fine sequel to the author's The Meaning of Night in which some of the characters are first introduced. I enjoyed the earlier book, but think this sequel even better. It's written in the first person which gives an immediacy to the story. The pacy story with twists and turns reminded me of Robert Goddard's Painting the Darkness with a touch of Austen's Pride & Prejudice.
7 people found this helpful
on 2 July 2012
I read The Meaning of Night and fell in love with it - it's unputdownable. When I finished it I was hungry for more and thought that this book, The Glass of Time, would be a good surrogate. Sadly this book is really badly written, insofar as it plods along for 600 pages without ever really grabbing you in. Like another reviewer said, I figured out what was going on pretty soon into the book but assumed that I must be wrong because what I had thought was surely too simple to be the real plot device of the book. Alas that wasn't the case and there were no surprises in this book. It's hard to believe how bad this book is compared with the Meaning of Night.
One person found this helpful
on 6 November 2016
This is a complex gothic tale with an intriguing link with its predecessor. It is a fine novel, but inferior to its predecessor. However, bearing in mind the infirmity of its author a remarkable achievement.
on 25 November 2016
If you liked The Meaning Of Night, you should like this. Beautifully written, complex narratives, characters are frustrating at times.
on 11 May 2014
With a nineteen year old orphan call Esperanza Gorst narrating her secret life, this book has to be the most engrossing one that have read in a long time. Wonderfully told this story of disinherited heroines, heroes with iffy morals with revenge and sorrow thrown in. A most absorbing story.
on 14 March 2014
I bought this book immediately on finishing The Meaning of Night and read it a couple of weeks later, so the story and characters from the first book were still fresh in my mind. I thoroughly enjoyed this sequel and like the way the author developed the story by moving it on 20+ years in time to the next generation of characters. I would highly recommend both of these books and am only sorry that there won't be any more novels from this author.
on 31 May 2014
This is a sequel to the brilliant Meaning of Night. Less bitter and coming from a woman's point of view it softens the original and adds answers. Sadly Michael Cox has since passed.
on 22 April 2015
Brilliant book. wonderful story, very well written. Can't recommend enough. I would give it more than five stars. Will be reading more from this author