Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 July 2007
I visit Greece at least twice a year and spend the rest of the year searching books to read about Greece while I'm there. I've read some awful stuff. Fortunately this is up with the best. I'd never heard of James Chatto before reading this book but his writing style is beautiful, conjuring up images of Greece you can really see in your head.

Their story is a wonderful one although touched with the awful sadness of the shocking turn of events midway through the book. His description of their tragic loss is heartfelt, honest and moved me few passages I've ever read.

Whether you're a Grecophile or not, this is a must-read.
on 25 April 2008
A very moving story. I have visited Corfu many times in the past (mainly around the time this book was written) so the descriptions of local characters and events. At imes you may feel frustrated by things that are said, but this is part of the quality of this book - it makes you think instead of just robotically ploughing through.

The end part of the book is so sad. We all have tragedies in our lives, but how many of us could tell them in the same way that shows the feelings and loss but does not wallow in over-indulgent self-pity.

An excellent read whether you want to read about living in a foreign land, the story of people's lives or both.
on 4 August 2009
The story is beautifully written capturing the feel of the island of Corfu; the growing love of the island by the writer and the growing love for his wife and children. extremely moving in places, so much so that I wasn't sure i could continue reading, but I'm glad I did as it leaves you feeling both happy for the final outcome and sad for the painful path they trod to get there.
The writing is truly excellent and very easy to read.
Thank you to the author for sharing the story.
on 10 October 2006
This was an amazing story,told from the heart,it had me laughing and crying at the same time.......and when i finished it i felt a sense of loss as i had read it so quickly(couldn't put it down)..highly recommended...
on 24 June 2010
Crying on the London tube in the morning - not normally recommended for a man on his way into work in the city. However, this book is so well written that when the tragedy happens, it is so movingly described by the author that I defy anyone not to be moved. We're off to Greece this summer and I'm reading several books in the build up to the holiday - this is one I won't forget.
on 2 June 2011
I found the story moving and well written. James Chatto paints a beautiful, yet realistic picture of Corfu as it was when he and his wife moved there. Characters are described with comical delight and events are nicely played out against Chatto's English sense of humour. I'm sure anyone who has spent time in Greece and especially the islands, will enjoy reading about familiar scenery, wonderful local characters and the experiences of a couple who followed their dreams.
on 9 April 2010
Having been fortunate enough to have worked within the tourism industry, in Greece for six seasons, I bought this book for pure escapism - to store within my suitcase. It was to indulge in, during the next visit, somewhere in this wonderful country, but also to learn more of the possible challenges and rituals, that may have to be endured, if I am ever fortunate enough to do the same. It didn't make it, inside the suitcase. My last season of work in Greece was in the North of Corfu and it rekindled many happy memories of my time there, in 2000. What this book gave me, was the appreciation of what I've experienced, made me value who I am today and to realise and convey, that if anyone is thinking of doing the same, but concerned about 'what if's', then go for it, no one knows what life has instore, but no matter what happens, your life experience will be richer for the opportunity and I'm sure the author and his family, wouldn't disagree. I celebrated their endeavours, rejoiced in the characters and mourned their cruel loss, but am at peace that their sadness will always be surrounded by the beautiful setting, that will never forget their existence.
on 6 July 2016
This is the third time of buying this book! A fantastic read especially when you're on holiday in Greece. Both my husband and I have read this book and foolishly leant it to friends to read and never got it back so this copy is going nowhere only to Crete with us on holiday!
on 19 April 2011
As with many of the reviewers, Greece is a special place for holidays so, to that end, you can smell the cooking, the thyme, the motor bike exhausts, the cigarette smoke and relate to the characters and the Greek way of life and dealing with things. Rather like an MR James novel however, there comes a moment in time where you realise that something shocking is going happen but you don't quite know when or where, even in this perfect setting. When the shock comes, it hits you, big time and stays with you for a long time. Time, as they say, is a great healer though. I recommend this book very highly, but not simply as a travel book.
on 3 January 2012
Just finished it and I think it's excellent. If you're a Grecophile it's a must-read. The author evokes all those feelings which you want to savour from the best things about a Greek Island. He takes one back to the days before mass tourism changed certain "resorts" on the island of Corfu and draws the reader through some warming and deeply human experiences as he and his young wife inter-act with the people among whom they chose to make a home.

If you are a Grecophile, you won't be disappointed by this book.

John Manuel (Author of Feta Compli! (Ramblings From Rhodes))