Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 April 2015
This is a harrowing story of a Christian school girl living in Tehran , who ends up being imprisoned for being outspoken about friends who have gone missing because of their views and she too becomes imprisoned and is tortured .
on 8 April 2013
Terrifying, horrifying, but compelling - a book that every human ought to read - not pretty but this is someone's life and the world should know about it - congratulations to the author for her honesty and courage - I'm just glad that she survived...Squirrel 59 - M 8.4.13
on 14 March 2013
Intriguing life story with many facets. This is the story of an innocent bright young girl with hopes, aspirations and love of life who gets caught in the cruelty of social upheaval and political repression. It is well written. You get to know her and her environment as a child and as a young prisoner through the clear and skilful sketches that she presents. Her ordeals and that of her friends and loved ones, her dilemas and her fears are massive. Her enemy is much bigger and stonger. She has to choose torture and death or a marriage which doesn't feel much better than torture and death. Amazing tale of survival. I would have liked her to tell me more about her parents and also more about her relationship with Ali (her captor whom she was forced to mary). There are some ambiguities. I have listened to some radio interviews with Marina Nemat before reading the book. I felt her responses to questions were more open and clear in terms of how she felt about her captor/husband and how her family treated her ordeal.
on 18 December 2012
Not normally what I would read but have to admit that once I started, I couldnt put it down, excellent story of life in Iran, a young catholic girl imprisoned, tortured for her beliefs, forced to convert to islam and marry to save her family... amazing story of courage and bravery... well worth a read!
on 19 April 2014
Please read this book. Marina Nemat writes about her life and her horrific ordeal in Iran's Evin prison with courage, simplicity and honesty. The words are well written without too much graphic details about the horrors she had to endure. Marina gives an insight into life and times Of pre and post Islamic revolution.

It is a shame that such a rich culture, tapestry and traditions is kept hidden under the pretence of protecting Islam. As Marina writes God does not need our protection! I am humbled by Marina's faith, humility and her utter goodness. May you continue to be a blessing to all.
on 18 August 2008
Ive always been fascinated with the way of life for women in the Middle East and when I saw this book I couldnt help picking it up. Marina Nemat weaves a spellbinding tale of survival, brutality, and the fight of love and belonging in a torture jail and how she fought to maintain her self identity through out. Her words pierce straight the heart like arrows and the book lingers long after the last page is turn. It's very hard to imagine something like this happening to someone no matter where they are.
A gripping read.
on 28 January 2014
Really really excellent book, could'nt put it down, real page turner. The writer put her heart and soul into t his book i would not hesitate to recommend it and look forward to reading her next offering.
on 5 May 2012
I have read various books about Islam and Islamic women. This was one of the best ones I've come across. Marina's experiences and the way she comes across in the book is heart tugging and eye watering. Thoroughly recommend this book as a 'must read'.
on 16 November 2011
The book is well written and so interesting I couldn`t put it down. Marina was so brave for such a young girl, I don`t understand how anyone can get thru such an awful experience. I wanted to keep reading to see what would happen to her but then I was disappointed that I had got to the end.
on 23 August 2013
Excellent book well worth the read, happy that we can pray where and when we require, hope things in the U.K do not change, although the way this goverement is going I am starting to doubt, obviously this is my opinion