Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 February 2016
Shocking, well written (I normally don't like American writing) and excoriating account of an ascent from the hell of drug and alcohol dependency of a young man. It wasn't easy or comfortable to read, but it was compulsive and wholly believable. It was also pretty much life-changing in that it has moderated my rather set and self-satisfied views about addiction of any kind. James Frey spares no detail, and I was surprised to discover his almost total lack of self-pity. I have no idea where he finds his strength, and I cannot express how much I admire his stance of accountability: no-one but he is to blame for his situation. I'm not sure why I bought this book in the first place - it is so far removed from my normal choice of reading matter, but I'm so glad I did. I think that if people were compelled to read this at a very young age, it might prevent more than a few falling into a similar destructive cycle. The ending, to my astonishment, had me crying, and I still feel (some months later) physically and emotionally bruised by this book.
If you can bear it, please read it. It is an education.
on 12 June 2015
The Independent dubbed this as 'turbocharged' and I think it is a good overall summary. Like many of my book purchases, I procrastinate for a long time and then hit the purchase button in the hope that I will be swept away into the authors world and come out smiling. A Million Little Pieces did this for me.

It is unique as I have never read anything similar. It is fast moving, hence the verdict of turbocharged and subsequently I was never bored at any point. The writing style reflects the story, as one might expect a drug addicted, alcoholic, criminal (he dubs himself as this several times over) to write. The are no speech marks and few commas, which to an English teacher would probably be considered a sin. There is plenty of obscene language and confrontation, yet somehow it is beautiful. We hear of so many stories of the guy or girl that had to climb the greasy pole to fulfill their ambition of being a millionaire or sport star, but in this story, it is about a drug addict trying to escape not only his vices, but his crazed mind. There are rumblings about James Frey fabricating much of what really happened to him, but don't let that ruin your reading pleasure.

If you are looking for a book that has what I would define as an anti-hero for the main character, where love is found in unusual circumstances, friendships are made in crazy ways then read this book. In addition to this there are interesting perspectives on religion, the origins of why an addict might become that way and family reconciliation. Finally do yourself a big favour if you buy this, DO NOT READ pages 513 - 14; this will tell you the outcome of every character you get to know, love and hate during the course of the book.
on 12 February 2016
A Million Little Pieces is the best of James Frey. If you've heard about it and thinking about getting it just get it. The way he writes is completely unique and like no other. There aren't words to describe how amazing A Million Little Pieces is. Follow it with My Friend Leonard. These books have a very special place in my heart and no doubt a lot of other peoples hearts as well.
review image review image review image
on 5 June 2017
A must read I love this book very clever couldn't put it down
on 26 June 2017
Still reading it!
on 5 May 2013
One of the best books I have ever read. It's like getting into another world. Awesome!
I have bought the sequel but have not had a chance to read it yet.. On another note I d like to advice this other book called: Before I go to Sleep by S J Watson! Great read!!
on 5 April 2017
Absolutly brilliant..i loved it..very emotive...honest and compelling...
on 26 July 2017
Delivery ok price book yellow and worn as described good book
on 2 July 2016
One of the best book s I've read.
on 9 March 2015
I loved this book. Couldn't put it down.