on 7 April 2018
Betjeman is sublime. His humour is gentle and knowing, his barbs likewise. Steeped in an age gone by, his poetry is witty and atmospheric. If you like a bit of intelligent nostalgia, give it a go.
on 13 May 2003
I don't pretend to be much of an expert on poetry, but when I first read Betjeman's work, I was stunned at the simplicity and beauty of the rhythm he brings to the language. Intelligent and articulate without being pretentious or high-brow, this is nonetheless extraordinary writing by a rare, rare talent. This collection includes some of his later works, perhaps overlooked in the light of his prolific mid-Century output. While not in the same league as his middle period, they still give an insight into a man that excelled at painting images with words.
'Revival ran along the hedge
And made my spirit whole,
With steam upon the windowpane
And glory in my soul.'
12 people found this helpful
on 12 August 2017
Excellent, it has an added section in this edition and I wish I had not intended to give it away as I would have liked to add it to my collection.
on 21 November 2015
Legendary English Poet Laureate john betjeman (1906~1984) unique English Poet and one of the most popular of the 20th century.This book is packed solid with hes greatest poems!
on 20 July 2017
Wasn't quite what I needed or hoped for so it went to a charity shop.
on 25 October 2015
As far as I am concerned, anything written by Sir John Betjeman is a must have.
on 28 November 2016
Brilliant Betjeman, all in one book, what more is there to say??
on 12 September 2014
So under rated. So forgotten. And so nearly always right.
One person found this helpful
on 28 June 2015
A lovely collection of poems from one of my favourite poets
on 22 October 2014
Good quality just what I wanted.
One person found this helpful