Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2013
I love Rob Thurman's work, and having eagerly awaited each installment of her series, was delighted to make this the first book I bought for my new Kindle Fire. Unfortunately though, some of the text of the first page of each chapter is missing :-(
Each chapter page has ahuge picture of a penguin on it, and then the text just starts mid-sentence.
Obviously I don't know how much is missing, not a lot I think, from context, and I am still able to read and enjoy the story, which is as gripping as ever, and even tells us more about the childhood life of Cal and Niko, but it is a small niggle and spoils the enjoyment of the reading experience.
Come on Amazon Gnomes, wave your wands and fix it! :-D Please! (Full price for not quite a full book is a tad, well, peeving)
on 13 May 2013
This is the 8th book in Thurman's urban fantasy series centring around the action packed lives of brothers Cal & Niko Leandros. Cal is a sarcastic and lazy part-monster and he is the main narrator, though Thurman has taken to switching the narration between him and one other character since the 4th book.

These books are set in solidly built worlds and the characters are well developed and massively likeable. Slashback is split between Cal's POV in the present & Niko's POV in the past. The split worked pretty well in this novel and both stories were very good with the usual action packed chasing after the bad guy in the present and a nice bit of creepy horror in the past.

I enjoyed the revelations about Goodfellow - he's just a brilliant character and a lot of fun to read about. Promise didn't make much of an appearance but she was there. Not sure that's a good thing, it's starting to feel like she's been delegated to the side-lines and she's just Niko's girlfriend now. As for the bad guys - I'll admit I'm not often freaked out by the bad guy in any series novel because there's the heavy element of predictability (no matter how bad they are they usually get slapped down hard by the heroes) but something about one of them this time was very creepy.

How close Cal and Niko are because of their awful upbringing is one of the strengths of these novels, however it does get laid on a bit thick in places here. I really wasn't sure about the revelation behind it at the end - without being spoilerish all I can say is I felt like it took something away from everything they've gone through. I'm sure lots of fans of the series will love it though.
on 15 June 2014
Why are you reading this review? Seriously? This is book 8. Book 9 is due out soon, but not soon enough for me. If you're quick, you can start at the beginning at and be ready by the time it comes out. Because once you've read one, you will really NEED to read the rest.

Don't waste time. You don't need more reviews. Buy them. Buy them all. They're so worth it.
on 18 July 2014
I enjoyed htis much more than the last two novels. It was great to discover the boys' childhood in more a detail, and an couple of surprises as the end. A thoroughly good read.
on 25 August 2013
Another great instalment in this series. Highly recommend it, but not for those of a sensitive disposition; as with all the books in this series, it fast, frantic and violent.
on 13 May 2013
I really enjoyed this book, the ending was not what I liked. But apart from that all the cal books are brill. They are books I keep going back and reading again.
on 19 August 2013
I have read all of the previous 7 Cal books and would recommend this one to all readers. The flashback scenes were well integrated with the main storyline.
on 6 November 2013
I love the Cal Leandros series and this book is yet another great story. The next one can't come soon enough!