Customer reviews

The Top Gear Years
Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 January 2017
Brought this in 2012 for my son who is a mad Top Gear Fan.
It is a Hard Back cover, which I like as they tend to last longer, this one definitely has 5 years later still looks as good as new and my son has re read it several times and passed it on to his friends to read. it is a good thick book, so lots to read.
I would recommend the book

Thank you for reading my review .I hope this has helped you,
I understand the need to write an honest review as I always read reviews before I purchase an item. the information I read helps me decide if I am going to buy the product, if you would like to ask me any questions please feel free to comment below and I will answer you
review image
on 18 July 2017
Got this as a Christmas present, as I was a fan of Top Gear, but I found the book a hard read and didn't get very far. There is nothing new, it is just a re-print of Jeremy Clarkson's magazine columns from 1993 to 2011. And although he has a humorous writing style, the TV shows benefited greatly from a lot of input from other people. For a much better read about Top Gear, see the book "And On That Bombshell", that is a definite 5-star.
on 25 September 2012
Sad to say, as a Top Gear and Clarkson fan, this book didn't meet my expectations. I thought that all the years of Jeremy making money from having his old Telegraph columns printed as books was over and that we were getting something different this year...and we kind of are, but instead of the Telegraph columns, it's the Top Gear magazine columns. In fact the only newly written thing in it is Jeremy's introduction.

In the description it says 'And all along Jeremy was writing about it all. Here, collected between hard covers for the first time, are the fruits of his labours'. To me, this sounded like Jeremy had actually done like Hammond and actually written about a particular filming shoot or Top Gear live as it was happening. But no, it isn't, and whilst reading some columns from the 90s may be rather interesting, there's very little that makes me 'Ooh'. Some are just about a car themselves and Top Gear doesn't even get mentioned.

I never though I'd rate a Clarkson book so low but as far as I'm concerned, the description is misleading. If you love any column he writes, then you'll be happy with this, but if you wanted a proper in depth book about making the show, no such luck.
55 Comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2012
I hadn't read any of Clarkson's columns before, and found this fantastically entertaining and interesting, really recommend it, great light hearted diversion that's very much appreciated these days!
on 30 September 2012
Like the first reviewer I was expecting a book about his time at Top Gear but sadly a few pages in you get this note "The contents of this book first appeared in Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear magazine column between 1993 and 2011." Very disappointing.
on 25 October 2013
Admitting an adaptation of JC's writing puts one in a socially unacceptable class these days but I have read quite a lot of Mr Clarkson 's output and I've enjoyed the vast majority of it. It is, however, quite variable at times. This is, definitely, not one of his best. To be fair, there are clear warnings that these articles are very old but that doesn't really make them any better. These articles are even shorter than most of Mr C 's missives and, boy, do they feel dated. As is often the case with these books, this one feels like a very cynical attempt to milk some more cash from fans by chucking together any old collection of previously published articles gathered into a book. Others in this series of books seem to have, at least, taken a stance of "These newspaper column articles were really very amusing so let's collate them for issue all together". That's not the feeling here. Here, it's more like "Let's just chuck together any old rubbish, selected at random: the fans are daft enough to pay good money for anything". The irony is that one of the articles covers Mr Clarkson 's easy capacity to allow avarice to overcome integrity (a book on the history of Ferrari) and he might as well end that article with "And now that you've paid money to read this, I've scored again!".

This doesn't change my view of the anti-pc dinosaur rebel; I still enjoy his writing style and I remain mildly worried by how frequently my own, most secret opinions chime so closely with his (of course, I couldn't possibly admit this openly). But I would only advise that you buy this book if you've read everything else from JC and you want to maintain your record. Otherwise, select one the other collections in this series as it will, almost certainly, be better than this.
on 6 February 2013
After reading the blurb and the first reviews here I thought, "I won't buy this. I expected to get some background info on Top Gear, and this isn't it."

Then I downloaded the reading sample to my Kindle when I was down with the flu and needed something that would make me laugh, and that's something Jeremy has always managed to do. And I was not disappointed. On the contrary: This book has helped me get better, because it's such fun to read.

Okay, the blurb's a bit misleading, but if you read the sample and the reviews here, you know what you're going to get. On second thought, I didn't want all that background info on Top Gear anyway, because it might spoil the fun. Have you tried re-watching your favourite TV series from your teens? Way to kill your memories. You see all the stuff you didn't see back then, when ignorance was bliss. Do you really want to KNOW who the Stig is? To me, the question is much more intriguing than the answer.

Like PG Wodehouse's books, Jeremy's columns are great medicine and should be available prescription free. And they are. Thank you!
on 16 November 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was the fourth Jeremy Clarkson book that I have read. The book was interesting and funny at the same time. I liked the way each chapter started with the car of the year and talked about the car throughout the chapter but also included the top five albums and movies of the year. I look forward to reading the next book.
on 16 December 2012
I'm a big fan of Jeremy Clarkson, so when I read people accusing him of money grabbing by re-selling all of his articles in book form put a bad taste in my mouth. It is true that the only part of the book that contains new material is the introduction, where Jeremy states himself "One day, I may write an autobiography. But this isn't it." This so called flaw in Clarkson's book only applies to you if, a) you own every issue of Top Gear Magazine from 1993 where Jeremy has written a column or b) you're Rain Man and can memorize anything you read which would make owning this book redundant.
Now that I've cleared that up, I'll go on to write what my opinions are on the book. I love it. You could put it down to my highly biased opinion on Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson that makes me look past the grumbles and moans that his book is recycled material, but I don't care. It's a great novelty to have his articles in one book that you can carry around with you, read with caution however, as you will be smiling and laughing at his comical and witty experiences and anecdotes.
If you know Jeremy Clarkson you'll have a pretty good idea on what the chapters are about. Complaining, criticizing his co-workers Richard Hammond and James May, and finding solutions to his own complaints. In one instance, he solves Britain's drink diving problem by introducing a `green light system' where a person who has been drinking is allowed to drive home providing they place a green flashing light on the roof of their car, to warn others they are intoxicated.
A great attribute of the book are the pages that separates the years of his columns. They're accompanied by the car of the year, top 5 singles and top 5 movie releases for that year.
This book is a must have for any Clarkson or Top Gear fan, and with the book not solely based on cars, it makes as a great gift for anyone who enjoys a combination of wit, stupidity and controversial opinions.
on 15 May 2013
Typical Clarkson read, fun, interesting, insightful and (in places!) Bigoted too. Regardless of whether you like him or not (and I do), its a great read, laugh out loud funny in places and a pure escape from daily drudgery. Fantastic!