Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 May 2005
I was fine with flying until I had a disastrous flight a few years back. On every subsequent flight I have panicked for weeks beforehand (usually from the minute I make the booking) and have to be 'well oiled' (just a couple, mind) before I can set foot on the plane. I have had to be dragged ON to the plane by my husband and physically STOPPED from running back to the terminal...things were not good. I ended up spoiling what were mostly short breaks by watching weather reports for flying home and panicking about the flight itself.
A friend just happened to tell me about this book and in desperation I bought it, knowing about Carr's 'stop smoking' reputation. Before long I was quoting 'fascinating' facts about planes and flying to my husband. I only finished it the day before we flew, and I flew out AND home SOBER, and really enjoyed the flights!
I still can't believe that something as simple as reading a book could allay what had pretty much become a phobia, but I can assure you it really does work.
I'd seriously recommend this to anybody with a fear of flying. I was terrible - now I consider myself CURED!
on 4 February 2002
As someone with a 20 year fear of flying...I read it before I left on my trip and it changed everything. Yes, it's filled with facts about flying that we all know about but it was the examples given and his use of metaphors that finally made me realize just how ridiculous my fear of flying had become. I've recommended it to several people now and will continue to do so.
on 3 September 2012
I have flown every year since I was little, but in the past few years a terror has crept over me, to the point where I dread the flight for about 3 months prior to flying, and have terrible nightmares about crashing, and I am convinced I'm about to die every minute of the flight, holding onto the armrests tightly and catastrophising about every noise the plane makes. Last year, I had a panic attack whilst boarding the plane, and I sobbed like a baby all through take off.

So I ordered Allen's book, and it is such easy reading, and quite enjoyable to read, I looked forward to each chapter. Somehow, without me even realising it, this book created a massive subconscious shift in my brain. I boarded the flight this year with confidence and strength, I trusted the plane and the pilot during take off and landing, I did not need to grip the armrests, I almost enjoyed the flight - a revelation.

The main thing this book did for me was to wipe away all my TERROR, and I experienced two flights with slight apprehension, but no terror at all. A massive achievement. I still shed a tear on the plane, but only once the plane landed - because I was so utterly shocked and proud of myself that I seemed to have cracked my fear and lost my terror.

Alongside this book, I also found a free online course on the 'fear of flying' website, which allowed me to listen to sounds the plane makes, and look at video clips of planes, thus de-sensitising myself over a few weeks before the actual flight.

Do not hesitate to buy Allen's book!!!!!!!!!!!
on 12 March 2006
Consider these facts before buying the book:-
1. I used to get very nervous about flying and would look for any alternative mode of transport, or would avoid travelling altogether. I would get anxious at even the THOUGHT of booking a ticket.
2. I read this book Christmas 2005.
3. A week later I booked a flight to New York to celebrate my girlfriend's 30th birthday.
4. I ENJOYED the flight to New York and even took a helicopter ride over Manhattan.
5. This Christmas we flew out to Australia to visit the person who gave me this book, and also journeyed on 6 internal flights.
6. With an open mind and a real desire to overcome your fear, this book really will help you to enjoy flying.
7. Buy this book and start exploring our fantastic planet!
on 19 July 2013
When ever I go away I worry about it weeks before and get Valium off the doctor and drink as much as I can, I still cry on landing, taking off and during turbulence. At first this book scared me a bit but once I started reading it and finished it, I was actually looking forward to flying. I've had three flights now and been fine! Try it, what have you got to loose.
on 3 August 2015
Recommended to me by Jason Vale ( the Juicemaster) - as he once worked for Allen Carr. I flew out to Jason's Juicy Oasis in July terrified of flying. I had avoided doing so for 8 years. Having read the book whilst I was out there I UNBELIEVABLY enjoyed the flight home. I swear it is true. I love you Jason Vale. I love you Allen Carr. I'm not saying it will work for you. What I am saying is, it has to be worth giving it a try!
on 2 July 2012
I did not start reading this book with any hopes whatsoever (high or low), is was bought for me as a gift and out of courtesy to the giver, I read it. The first 70 pages were frustrating and I wanted to toss it in the bin but I persevered. I had a flight booked to New York while reading it and was seriously considering cancelling my flight (nothing new there as I consider cancelling every flight I'm ever scheduled on!). Allen Carr promises that after reading this book you will be looking forward to your next (or first) flight. I found this prediction irritating! After almost 25 years of fearing to fly I can testify to that promise, I not only began to look forward to my flight but DID enjoy it, thoroughly enjoyed my time in NY (instead of being totally preoccupied with my return flight) AND looked forward to and enjoyed my flight back - totally unbelievable! I urge anyone who has a fear of flying to invest in this book (I understand they run one-day seminars too) - it's easy reading, he treats you as if you are a normal intelligent person and not the freak you've come to view yourself as - it makes total sense and I just wish I'd read it years ago as I'd have a few less grey hairs and would have spent many hours, days and weeks enjoying myself instead of almost giving myself heart failure!
p.s. I've had four long-haul flights since writing the above 8 months ago and I can confirm that the book's magic has not worn off!!! I continue to look forward to AND enjoy flying - unbelievable!!!!
on 18 December 2002
'The Easyway to Enjoy Flying' by that man Allen Carr is a superbly written book! Carr makes it super easy for anyone with a major fear of flying, or just slight aprehension of flying, to get on that flight and enjoy it!
The enjoyment begins as he describes with amusing analogies how it is possibble to get on a flight and really be excited by the prospect. There is no positive thinking tactics to fool yourself, breathing exercises, or hard to understand psycological tripe with this book. Just the complete removal of your fear and all of the symptoms that go with the problem. Well done Allen Carr!
on 18 January 2004
This book is full of facts about flying that encourage your sub-concious to beleive that flying really is safe. It's a good book to read on a long-haul flight whilst still awake due to fear of having a very realistic nightmare about another plane crashing into you! With his characteristic humour Allen helps you to stop sweating or in my case ordering more Gin & Tonics than necessary and makes you understand just how safe flying really is. You better beleive him!
on 10 April 2016
I was terrified of flying and fear getting worse with each flight I forced myself to take. I went on a BA course which cost over £300, which didn't really help enough. I didn't want this fear to limit my traveling experiences in life and I had a holiday booked in Mauritius which is a 12 hour flight. I read this book in the days running up to the flight and at the airport. I also went over the turbulence chapter when on the plane! I had no panic attacks, no tears, no gripping the armrests until my fingers went blue! I would recommend it highly.