Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 December 2013
well I must say I never read much before hell I have tonnes of books that I haven't touched but when I received this novel I read and enjoyed it gives allot of information too what happened before assassins creed 3 and much insight into haythams life things I didnt see in assassins creed 3 really enjoyed it and ended up buying the black flag one after reading it ::) if you are a fan of AC I would recommend reading theres lots of things I didnt know about haytham until I read this book. brilliant stuff. love assasins creed A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
on 22 July 2017
I can't give a review of the basic storyline as this book was bought to make up the entire set of books by Oliver Bowden, but if it's anything like the first instalment, I'm looking forward to reading it.
on 1 February 2014
As i have played the game i brought the book and what a brilliant read

Brought the rest in the series and i would read this book again

And for the price it is a steal to buy
on 27 May 2017
Great condition. Fast delivery. I enjoyed the book very much, as I am a fan of thr gaming franchise, and the characters themselves.
on 20 December 2012
Having bought earlier books of the series, I decided to add this one to the collection. I like to have the full set of a series.
on 9 March 2017
bought this for my son and he has read and finished it.
on 11 November 2012
Assassin's Creed Forsaken is the fifth novel to be written by Oliver Bowden that tie's into the Ubisoft video game series of the same name.

Unlike previous books which were the game in written form this one is half and half. Told through a series of personal journal entries,reflections and traditional prose it tells the story of Haytham Kenway from his early life upto when we meet him within the Assassins Creed III game and through the game to it's conclusion.

The book is as with all of Oliver Bowden's previous books well written, the story is entertaining and is a nice accompanyment to the game.

If you're a fan of the game series then this is definetely worthing putting on the shelf

***Spoiler Warning***

Read after playing Assassin's Creed 3
on 30 December 2012
I have to preface this with the fact that I do love all of Oliver Bowden's Assassin's Creed books and am a huge fan of the games so I am biased.

However unlike others have that have said this book is not as good as it does not follow as closely to the game plot; I disagree to me this makes the book better and the mythos of the games so much deeper. Which is why I enjoyed it so much that I found it hard to put down, it didn't hurt that I also really liked Haytham in the game; even if he was a Templar.

The story follows Connor understanding his father through his journals from a boy to the Grand Master Templar of the Americas. The underlying theme of the game from Connor's perspective and the books from Haytham's is why can't they all get along? That although the Templars and the Assassins go about things in different ways at the heart of it all they want the same thing. Peace everlasting. As naive as that simple want is.

I liked the idea that Bowden took with this book that he didn't centre it on the main character of the game, but instead explored his roots and the roots of his father further, because as much as it is explained in the game it is never truly given much depth and this book managed to show a "what if" side to the ending chapter of the games.

Some have said that Haytham was constantly going between being in a sticky situation on one page and the next being out of it, but how is that any different to the other plot lines? This is the sort of book you do not read for realism, but for the sheer joy of escapism in to a beautifully rendered and described landscape, where one moment you are in the High Society of London the next The Frontier and then The Middle East saving your long lost sister.

Through the journal entries you become engrossed in a characters life that was fully lived, if not always happily. Which is just like real life and even with some of the seemingly unrealistic plotting; gives the reader something to relate to.

I would recommend this book to anyone that appreciates Bowden's writing and the games in general, or anyone that wants an action filled piece of escapism. However I learnt the hard way being at memory sequence 9 when the book came out and reading it in a matter of days that it would have been better to read Forsaken after finishing the game.

If you are easily moved to tears like I am, you will need a few tissues.
on 7 January 2013
I always read these novels from cover to cover, they're great fun to read. The author this time has chosen to include a lot of backstory not shown in the game and it explains so much more of the storyline, it covers Haytham Kenways childhood, from the tragedy that results in him having to abandon his house and be taken under the wing of Reginald Birch, to all the events of the videogame, and yet more backstory in the years in between where the game jumped ahead 4 years or more at a time. It gives you a richer understanding of the complete events of the game, and also it portrays Haythams character in a very human light the whole way through, which wasn't the case in the game. It follows Haytham through the story from start to finish, there's barely any mention of his son Connor, and it's a better read for it, I much prefer Haytham over Connor, even if it is only the accent that does it. If you've bought the other Assassins Creed novels, this one is the best by far because there's a ton of original writing for once, the previous novels were more or less ripped word for word from the game, this time that does still happen in some places but overall there's a wealth of new content here. Highly recommended.
on 20 October 2016
I was skeptical, at first, to read this book, what being based on a video game. I was, still am actually, a huge Assassins creed fan and due to that reason I brought forsaken. Before reading this book I liked Haytham, and after reading this book I came to love him in every way possible. So much is not shown in the game about Haytham that it is understandable why he is not a huge hit amongst gamers. His life was so filled with tragedy, "forged with treachery", "paved with lies", that I came to crossroads between the Assassin and templar beliefs and ideologies, because for once you don't we the bad guys portrayed by Templars and the assassins as the good guys. No you see two factions fighting for peace. O could go on for hours and hours about how deeply this narrative Jas touched me and I come t Oliver Bowden for having captured Haytham's tale so beautifully. It has been quite a while and I still have the book and read it all the time. Its quite worn but that is because it's pages are opened so often, tears shed so frequently, memories harboured in it's memorable pages.
review image