Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 June 2012
I was whiling away a boring weekend when I stumbled upon Rachel's tv-show on iPlayer, instant addiction followed. Her genuine enthusiasm for food, her sunny disposition was infectious - this was food I wanted to eat, more than that, this was food that I wanted to try making. And this enthusiasm and infectious disposition comes across on the page of the book, with dozens of recipes to attempt - or even, as Rachel would suggest herself, to build upon in your own experiments. I've made two of the recipes from the book in the first month of having it, and the rest of the book is dotted with post-its indicating the new recipes that I want to try - though I definitely want to repeat the ones I've made too. One of my favourite cookery writers at the moment, genuine and infectious like Rachel Allen and Mary Berry, I hope we see more from her - and soon!
on 1 January 2014
Already having several French recipe books I thought I didn't really need another one. I was originally looking at the 2nd book in the series but the reviews rated this one higher so I thought I would give it a try. This one includes recipes that I either don't have already or have a slightly different twist to them (the chocolate mousse is a good example and is heavenly). Have tried a couple of the recipes and they are really nice and straightforward to follow and turn out deliciously. I do like a picture of what the recipe should look like and this is full of pictures not only of the dishes but also clips of France. Would definitely recommend this book.
on 6 May 2012
I searched online for the recipe for Croque Madame muffins that Rachel Khoo did during the television series and I have to say, whilst they aren't exactly low fat, they were yummy!! I even made the white sauce from scratch and I wouldn't normally attempt to do something like this and her instructions are excellent. On that basis, I decided to order the book. I also saw Rachel do a few other recipes during her series that I thought I could cook (the madelines looked amazing - the only problem is that I don't have a madeline tin!)! I am more of a baker than a cook, so the tarts, quiches and sweet dishes caught my eye rather than the meat based dishes (although the lamb stew, classic coq au vin looks yum - I just won't cook it - I'll leave that to the other half!). The book combines good recipes with easy to follow instructions with pictures of the finished recipe (much needed!) and the book is nice and colourful.

On a negative side, there are quite a few pictures of Rachel that I would rather not be there (possibly too many - although to be honest you can just ignore them but it's just a waste of space), and some recipes that just seem like a filler for the book (bread and cheese and another for bread and cheese with a tomato chutney I think) - no idea why you need two recipes taking up at least 3 pages for those, the chutney may be better placed in the back with the technical recipes that are handily included i.e. measurements and basic recipes for creme patisserie etc. I'm also not a huge fan of some of the recipes(i.e. game/rabbit, pate etc) and therefore several of the recipes just don't appeal to me and therefore will never be used. I expect over half of the book falls into this category for me.

Nevertheless, to end on a positive note, to pick at random: Wild mushroom tart, Clafoutis, Rosemary, lavender and goats cheese bread, Chicory with ham, Grapefruit and pepper meringue tartlets, Champagne sabayon, Tarte tatin, Raspberry and almond tartlets, Meringue and chesnut-cream mountain, Creme caramal, Creme brulee, Apple millefeille, Chocolate mousse, Souffles....all do appeal to me and I will try and cook them all and this makes the purchase well worth it!
on 11 May 2013
Was bought as present for friends' birthday. Had a quick look through the book before wrapping it, and recipes looked quite nice, well explained with nice pictures. Being French, i recognised the French classical recipes and they were well presented and respected
on 10 April 2012
Rachel Khoo latest book is a delight to pick up, everything is simply explained so far we've created several of the classic French recipes with the modern twist and been really pleased with the results. We enjoy her TV programme and the fact she uses basic kitchens untensils that most people own anyway, proving basic is best. This weekend we made what looked like a rhubarb hotdog they were delicious and fun
on 12 May 2012
Rachel Khoo's "Little Paris Kitchen" is my new favourite cooking show so when her cookbook came out I just had to buy it. I love that she makes French cooking accessible to the home cook and that you don't need a big fancy kitchen (although she has some great kitchen gadgets to make it easier). She makes French cooking real. My only complaint about the book is the layout of ingredients - I prefer them in a linear list in the order the recipe uses them - it makes it easier to follow. But I appreciate that might not be as aesthetically pleasing. At the end of the book is a great appendix of sauces and dressings and even how to make your own vinegar. Thank you Rachel for empowering us at home to bring a little more French cuisine into our daily life!
on 27 April 2012
I have enjoyed the TV series and therefore was pleased to buy the book. The only recipe I have tried so far however was the naravin of lamb and quite frankly it was disappointing. Tasting the dish halfway through cooking I was concerned how little there was to it. I then Googled 'Naravin of Lamb' and came across Raymond Blanc's recipe published by the Guardian in March 2011 (promoting Blanc's own 'Kitchen Secrets' book). I was surprised to find how similar both recipes were except that Khoo's version had been simplified by essentially ommitting half the ingredients. Adding a tin of tomatoes, celery and a bouquet garni (not exactly difficult to do) made a huge difference to both the taste and the visual appeal. My experience has made me question whether the book has been cobbled together in something of a hurry to accompany the TV series.

On the positive side the book is well written with good explainations and excellent photography. It captures Rachael's bright and bubbly character and is enjoyable to read as well as to work with. I am looking forward to trying other recipes especially Rachael's particular creations such as the mini vension wellingtons and the crouque madames. I'd certainly recommend the book although some of the recipes may have been a little over-simplified for experienced cooks.
on 11 October 2014
I am surprised at some of the criticisms of this book and its writer. The recipes are Ms Khoo's version of French classics, and one is expected to adapt them to one's own tastes. The Regional dishes, again, are adapted to her own choice. I found the recipes easy to follow, as would any one with experience in cooking, although I must admit that some recipes need to be tried and adapted on oneself before cooking them for guests. The comments about her being 'pretty' are irrelevant. So are Lorraine Pascalle, Nigela Lawson etc, but one judges them on their cooking, not their looks, and Ms Khoo, like the others, comes out with five stars. If you are adventurous and want something different, this is the cook-book for you. I recommend it without reservation.
on 17 September 2015
Anyone who watched the series on television will know the amazing selection of recipes produced in an incredibly small kitchen. There are even more recipes to get to grips with. The book is well written and presented, what's not to like about Rachel Koo?
on 7 March 2013
I gave this cookery book a good rating - its surpassed expectation - having seen earlier reviews I was concerned it would not deliver - it does.

It is beautifully designed and delivers anecdotes but these add to the charm - if you don't cook much it would still make a great coffee table book - but as some one who cooks a lot it is great.

This book is for people who want to cook French food - without fuss. It is a well laid out with good photographs of how things should look and is a robust looking hardback book. It contains recipes that were used in the television series of the same name, which is a bonus - all recipes in one place. Recipes are not complex and they work.

A great addition to the cookery bookshelf.