Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

9,413
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 250 reviews(3 star). See all 9,413 reviews
on 25 June 2013
I normally would never pick up a book with this cover, it suggests heartache and a wistful female protagonist but my new book club chose this title and so I persevered. The central characters are convincing and the story provides an insight to living with someone with a disability (although I couldn't say if it's accurate, it breaks down barriers and helps you see beyond the quadriplegia). Although the premise has the potential to be offputting 'spoiler alert':- girl tries to show disabled guy life is worth living but in the end it's he who shows her- despite this I bought into it and thought it was a novel take on a love story. Perhaps more could have been explored in terms of the legality of assisted suicide but I take the point of telling the story from aloved one's perspective, providing the political argument from the bedside. Not normally my type of book and a bit too sentimental but not too bad.
on 24 July 2017
Not my thing - but had to give it a go.
on 28 March 2017
really enjoyed this book even though a sad ending. I have read quite a few years ago but virtually the same book called The Sea inside also as a film El Mar A Dentro starring JavierBardem
on 7 July 2017
Ok
on 20 March 2017
ok
on 26 March 2017
Good reading
on 6 February 2013
I was expecting more after all the rave reviews.
I personally prefer a happy book and this was far from that. A good read but not something I would rave about.
on 24 November 2012
Perhaps it was because of the amount of 5 star reviews this book has on here that I was so disappointed with it. As it is, for some odd reason, so popular I am going to compare it to a book of a similar theme in order to make this review more believable. The theme is similar to 'My Sister's Keeper' by Jodi Picoult in terms of being about something controversial and highly emotive. However whilst Jodi manages to create memorable, believable characters that you come to think of as friends and miss when you finish the book Moyes does not. Every character in this book apart from Will is dull, one dimensional and utterly forgettable. The worst for me was Louisa, the main character. Her inability to empathise with Will's mother's plight and show her some tolerance and her complete lack of depth really irked me. Will on the other hand was written with remarkable insight for someone who I doubt has actually experienced how the desire for non-existence is preferable to living in pain. However some of the stuff he comes out with is not what a hetro male would (telling Louisa what perfume would suit her) - Moyes you don't understand men! Moyes's writing style is really good, articulate and fluid but subject matter for most part is dull. Unlike my sisters keeper the story isn't engrossing and only has flashes of brilliance here and there (the end is the best bit although extremely predictable). The way the plot is put together is really clumsy and amateur - unsubtle contrasts between Patrick who's extremely able bodied and Will, Louisa's poor parents and Will's rich ones (yawn, yawn). I skipped loads of it, it was so dull. One of the best things about my sister's keeper was the twist at the end, but like I said this ending was ridiculously predictable. The idea for this book was excellent and it promised so much yet delivered so little, perhaps I missed something but I would implore anyone considering this book to keep an open mind and don't let the overly positive reviews give you too high expectations.
on 7 February 2013
I nearly gave up with this book early on as I found the characters predictable and dull. My biggest gripe though was while looking for work the main character is offered work as a stripper/ pole dancer, factory work or if she was really desperate. Working as a care assistant " wiping someone's bum" I found this view offensive. We all have different skills and capabilities and taking care of someone and helping them through their daily requirements is a demanding job that requires a caring and understanding nature and should not be belittled as though it is the lowest of the low and the person performing this task is incapable of getting any other job. I felt the characters attitude to this kind of work was that of a immature teenager and it takes until half way through the book before she finally seems to grow into herself and mature. Apart from the above the book is good and worth a read. It is an easy read and yes some of the characters and their point of view are not required but they don't have much of a say in he book so it's not to annoying.
In case you are wondering. I am not a care assistant, pole dancer or factory worker. I just feel strongly about belittling someone's occupation!
on 25 January 2017
It was a bit like reading a slow burn agony aunt column that was Bridget Jones diary with harry Enfield and chums and those documentaries on run down, rough council estates.
Loisa Clark's growth and will's choice about life or death was what kept me going, but after first 30 plus pages I kept reading, even though potential out comes kept popping in my mind, yrs , no, maybe later.... Maybe after a few kids? As Tyrion Lanister said...Death is so finale, life on the other hand is so full of possibilities.
But the author went with the obvious on. She used cheap tricks now and again just to add to the mix which made me thing she would pull out a rabbit outvof the wheel chair but she went with the real world choice instead of a different ending.
Felt almost like watching scent of a woman. With all pachino but the disabled banker never managed to get me on his side, I never really liked him, the first ice breaker scene felt forced, even later on, the beast stayed fairly beastly to the end.
Bought part two as well....