on 24 May 2014
This is such a lovely book with tons and tons of great sweet and savoury recipes.
The chapters are:

7. - Pies
8. - Cakes
9. - Puddings
10. - Fancy Pastries

Each chapter has a three-pages long introduction informing about the history of said baked good, e.g. bread, from ancient times untill today. I really enjoyed reading these introductions. They are very interesting and filled with little stories, quotations from Shakespeare and so on. But if you are not interested in these things you can easily move on without missing any information when actually baking.
So let's move on to the recipes: there is - as said before - a great variety of recipes so everyone should find something to their taste: from jumbles to scones to Irish farmhouse soda breads to bagles to all kinds of sweet and savoury tarts, flans, pies, and puddings to lovely cakes. The recipes are very thorough so that even inexperienced bakers should have no problems: it's for example always said what to do with the goods when they come off the oven (leave in the tin or remove from the tin), when there is an option for making the dough by hand and one for making it with an electric gadget, both options are explained and so on. Furthermore - and I found this very helpful - there a pages dedicated to specific ingredients (like yeast), methods (like blind baking) and so on. I've been battleing with yeast for my whole baking life and I finally managed to master it thanks to the tips giving in this book. And if you're an experienced baker and know all there is, these information don't disturb you as they are on specific pages and you can easily ignore them.
Another aspect I really enjoy is the beautiful phtography and layout. Every recipe has its own photo and its own double page (or more). Inbetween there are some 'picture pages' just showing pictures of the beautiful British countryside, tea rooms, bakers and so on. So if you're not baking, this book can easily sit on your coffee table ready to just look at.

I love this book and I would buy it again and again. If you're interested in baking and/or Britain you sould buy it too!
on 5 March 2015
Finally, a book on British baking. I am slowly building a new collection of cookbooks and love the range offered on Amazon as well as the prices. I had bought Delia's cakes and up until now considered that the best book I had found that contain mostly British recipes. But this book is fantastic. I am a bit of a traditionalist in my cooking and not the most adventurous given the choices we have nowadays, and wanted something that celebrated our British cooking heritage - this is it. Some of the dishes I bake regularly already and look forward to trying them with the suggestions in the book. Others I haven't tried and it opens up new dishes at the table, that can all be made with local ingredients. I bought this at the bargain price of £5 too. Grab it while you can!
on 11 March 2017
The best baking book I have ever bought, the recipe for Sticky Marmalade Cake is stunning and best of all delicious and easy. Have bought many baking books over the years, but this one is the best so far, I also bought the Linda Collister Chocolate Cookbook, another gem , what I can't understand is why this author /cook isn't a household name .
VINE VOICEon 15 January 2011
I was in two minds over whether to buy this particular title - but what convinced me was a friend starting to cook his way through it and achieving good results. So I bit the bullet and am glad I did.

It is a good collection of British classics (with a few new twists) - well presented with some excellent photography.

Some reviewers have commented on the lack of recipes from contestants in the Great British Bake Off series. This doesn't worry me at all - the book is a companion to that competition rather than being the book of the series. It is what it says it is - a book on British baking - plain and simple.

What stops me from giving this top marks is the fact that we don't have a table of contents. The book is split into 7 sections - which is fine - but there is no way of knowing what is in each part (and some of the categorisations are a little arbitrary with the boundary between cakes and breads being rather ill-defined).

So this is a good book on baking but, perhaps, not a great one. Take a look in your local bookshop before you buy - just to be certain it is for you.
on 23 October 2013
My family were recommended this Linda Collister Cookery book (one of the earlier editions accompanying Great British Bake off vs the more recent ones from the show). Delicious tried and tested recipes and easy enough to follow.

We got the kindle edition (at a very good price) as we're running out of Hard copy storage space (with all our other cookery books). Its our first Kindle cookery book and taking a bit of getting used to navigating/sizing on ipad! Also need to be careful not get Ipad dirty/damaged in kitchen area with all the ingredients flying around. Had family vote and Yes we would recommend this to others. I think in future though, its easier using a hard copy vs kindle but that's just my opinion/choice.
on 8 September 2011
I bought this book as a novice baker, having never made anything fancier than a fairy cake i was a bit overwhelmed looking at these pictures, there was no way i could make any of the fancy pictures shown in this book. But then i looked at the recipes. This book makes everything simple, there aren't ten thousand ingredients in each recipe and the instructions are easy to follow.

The recipes are plain and simple british food, and the recipes produce some brilliant results. My particular favourite is the lemon drizzle cake!!

If you want simple but tasty british recipes then this is for you.
on 3 March 2011
Being a Domestic Goddess interested in English cooking, I have owned many cookery and baking books over the years and from time to time many have ended up in a charity shop. A lot of cookery books are dissapointing, suggesting recipes that are impractical with a poor end result.

So I got this book out of the library first as I am more cautious these days. It was soon very apparent that this book is REAL gem!! There is nothing in it I would not be prepared to make. The layout is attractive and well thought out, with good sensible instructions with excellent photos of the finished article.

I have all Nigella's books (she is my kitchen heroine) and I have many favourites from her books.(Do try Lemon Syrup Loaf, its to die for!) Some of her recipes are very rich so The Great British Book of Baking brings you down to earth in the kitchen with excellent tried and tested well known treats. Its absolutely no use if you are slimming, but hey, you need to have a treat now and again. The recipe for the Bakewell Tart is very good as is the Sticky Marmalade Tea Loaf. Enjoy!
From the Derbyshire Domestic Goddess.
on 28 December 2017
This is such a lovely book! I adore the cover & if you take off the paper covering, the actual book itself is gorgeous too!

All I need now is a beautiful countryside kitchen to put it in & I’ll be happy! ☺️
on 28 January 2014
Lovely book with lots of delicious recipes. I bought this as a Christmas present but actually copied a recipe down before I wrapped it - and I will probably ask to borrow it at some point. If you enjoy cooking and baking this book should make a welcome addition to your collection of recipes. The price was really good and it was delivered quickly and arrived in good order.
on 1 August 2017
I don't think this book has any recipes in i that I have not seen in other books.