on 19 June 2013
I liked this book. It told a good story and was based around accurate historical facts. The characters are well developed as the story moves on and the scene is nicely set for the follow on books, both of which I have read and which again are well written and inter-weave nicely.
on 20 October 2012
In fiction I look for a book that entertains me and makes me want to keep reading. That is exactly what this book achieved by keeping me interested and entertained from start to finish. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
on 4 May 2011
When I saw the cover, subject matter & write up about this book I thought - great I must read it and immediately downloaded it to my kindle. It was a period in history that I knew little about and looked forward to reading a novel about the Saxons.

What a load of rubbish!

I very very rarely fail to complete a book, but this time I stopped part way through this load of tosh!

I could not believe a word of the story, nor could I empathise with the characters. Very little is actually known about Hereward's early life, so how the author could imagine that he should turn up at every major known event across Europe and be involved with every major character I do not know.

Totally unbelievable!

Save your hard earned cash.
on 8 January 2014
Once I had got into the book I found it a good read, admittedly it had a rather unusual beginning but apart from that I enjoyed it
on 27 May 2013
Great book, great read, riveting on the edge of your seat almost real life drama in front of your eyes as you turn from page to page.
Highly reccomended as of the book in the series by the same author
on 7 May 2011
Bought it for 50p in a charity shop, so at least my money went to a good cause. Just thought you would like to know. Do not give up the day job Mr Binns. What are Penguin coming to?
on 10 January 2015
a well written and entertaining book,a real page turner
on 13 September 2011
How this book ever got published is beyond comprehension, maybe the author and publisher attended the same school, because the fact that it did get published beggars belief.
It is an astoundingly badly written book, about as rip roaring and gripping as a cold cup of tea. 'Then Hereward who was the bestest warrior ever had to fight the biggest and baddest champion of the king, to prove he could make the king the bestest again. The champion swung his sword lots and lots, but hereward blocked all of them, then the big bad champion stopped and laughed because he had never fought such a strong and brave warrior like Hereward before and they shook hands, and then the king laughed and shook Herewards hand, and then Hereward led the kings army and killed lots of the baddies and saved the kings life at least seven times during the battle, because he had a special axe as well' etc etc.
Do not buy this book, the author already has a job at the beeb and his income should not be supplemented anymore by badly written books.
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2012
This book had me hooked from when i read the summary on the back cover in a bookshop to actually purchasing it via my kindle.
it shows the author has a very fertile imagination to link together great events and personalities from long ago in a sometimes humourous but also in a believable way.
i did enjoy the book, so much so, that i also purchased the next book from this author, crusade, which i am hoping will be as good, if not better than conquest was.
it must be remembered when reading this book, that it is a work of fiction and someones great imagination to bring together the events and personalities of the era, it is nothing to use as reference for exams or mastermind!!
it is a great piece of entertainment for those of us who have an interest in the past and the what ifs.....
thoroughly recommended. *****
on 15 February 2011
I am not normally into historical novels but this one had me gripped from start to finish. It is a really exciting adventure which left me wanting to read more. Beautifully written, it would make a fantastic film! Bring on Conquest 2 Stewart!