Format: Hardcover|Change

10 reasons to buy this book (in no particular order):

1. The recipes are all very tasty*
2. The recipes are easy to make
3. The portion sizes are generous but not ridiculous
4. Fay doesn't add alcohol to any of her recipes (unlike other 'family' chefs)
5. Minimal washing-up afterwards i.e. you are not left to clearing up 10 pans and 40 utensils by the end of the night.
6. She provides pictures with all her recipes (don't laugh but I like to know what I'm aiming for aesthetically if nothing else)
7. She tells you how to make the recipes baby and toddler friendly
8. The preparation and cooking times are actually accurate
9. The intros are endearing and amusing. It is not pretentious.
10. The balance of recipes is good (very well laid out)

*I am an unenthusiastic cook at the best of times, yet I have been inspired to try out 6 recipes in 8 days. Nigella, Jamie and even my beloved Bill Granger have been unable to whip me into such a frenzy of activity. All 6 recipes were a success I might add.
on 8 April 2011
I have to confess, I was skeptical about this book as I don't normally go for cookbooks by "celebs" who aren't cooks. But I have owned this book for well over a year now and I LOVE it. In fact, I rate it the best cookbook I have, more so than Jamie, Rachel, Nigella, Delia and co. Why? Because this is real food!

Normally when I buy a cookbook, I make a few things out of it and that's it. But I have made tons of recipes from this book and they have all turned out delicious. My other half loves his steak and he adores the sauce you make for "dressing up your steak and chips". We've eaten and enjoyed the chocolate fondue sauce, the brownies, the steak, the beef stroganoff, the pork and apple, the apple cake, the chicken with thyme rice, the sausage stew, and lots more.

This is everyday food that you want to cook again and again, that is not only super-easy to make, using everyday ingredients, but that also comes with practical tips (such as whether you can freeze the meal) and is suitable for the whole family, including babies (a godsend for us with a young toddler - she loves these meals too, her favourite being the chicken and thyme rice!)

I love Fay's humorous style, too. This recipe book is warm and inviting, and is at the heart of my kitchen! Sure, I want and love the fancy cookbooks too, but for regular, everyday meals, this is ALWAYS the book I reach for.
on 3 May 2009
I never normally submit a review for books but I have been so impressed with this book! The simple philosophy of healthy ingredients adapted to meals to suit the whole family is fantastic. The recipes are simple and don't involve huge lists of ingredients or complex processes. The recipes are all appealing and Fay's light hearted and unpretentitious text refreshing and friendly. The dishes I've made from it are the best things I've made in ages- this book has definitely helped me get my cooking mojo back. Well done Fay!
on 29 April 2009
Love this - I don't have kids, but my boyfriend certainly has enjoyed everything I've cooked from it so far! really simple + easy to find ingredients. Loved the little quirky twists - the cumin in the orange and ginger casserole makes it taste really brilliant and the spinach is a lesson how to make a tricky vegetable more interesting and basically delicious.
on 1 May 2009
I have loads of really good cookbooks - Tana Ramsay, Rachel Allen and Jo Pratt - to name a few of my favourites, and although I still really love those, I can see this becoming my absolute favourite. As a mum of three toddlers and working fulltime, this looks ideal - nothing too fancy, but still tasty and 'do-able'! A bit wary when I pre-ordered it - but no regreats here.
on 30 April 2009
This book is fantastic! It works because Fay keeps it real. No nonsense food that's simple, quick & nutritious. I have many celeb chef books at home and they're not a patch on this one. I love the original ideas with everyday food stuff. If you're thinking of buying this item, hit 'add to basket' now - you won't regret it.
And to Fay, I would simply say ' I really hope you're writing another one soon because I'm a fan' :-)
on 1 May 2009
My kids can be fussy eaters especially when it comes to fish - I was amazed when they ate mackeral for the first time and loved it. There are so many imaginative ideas and great recipes for all the family. It is without question the best family cookbook I have ever used.
on 20 June 2011
I really like this book. There are some lovely recipes, including the Sweet Carrot Soup, Butternut Squash Soup, Bay Bird (chicken), Lemon Drizzle cake, Steak and Chips, Orange and Ginger Chicken Casserole, Potatoes Dauphinoises, to name a few.

The recipes are well-presented and easy to follow. I appreciate Fay's sense of humour so enjoy a chuckle when reading the book. The photos are lovely and encourage you to give the recipes a go. I'd agree with other reviewers who say the recipes aren't cheap - this is definitely "Yummy Mummy", metropolitan cooking and I therefore wouldn't expect to be cooking one of them each day. I also haven't in practice found that many of the recipes work for the whole of our family (which includes a 4 year old and a 1 year old) but no matter, the recipes are still lovely.

A final comment on the cake recipes: these rely heavily on plain flour (no self-raising flour to be seen) and I have therefore found them tricky, other than the Lemon Drizzle cake, which contains a lot of (expensive) ground almonds.

In summary: great book but be aware that the recipes are not budget options.
on 7 July 2010
I'd seen Fay on several TV programmes promoting this book but was disappointed when I received it. I was expecting recipes that would be particularly good for children. I have twin 1 year olds, an 8 year old and 10 year old so I'm looking for recipes that can feed us all easily and economically. I didn't find much that I would give to the 1 year olds or that the older children like. I might use cheese on toast with pesto, beef stroganoff and chicken and ham pie. But not cashew nut and pomegranate salad, garlic spinach or steak & chips. The book is ok, but I was expecting more traditional family recipes.
on 1 May 2009
This is a fantastic cookbook. Wonderful illustrations for EVERY recipe which is a must, very funny, simple yet delicious would recomment it to all!Fay's Family Food