Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(3 star). See all 72 reviews
on 3 May 2016
Not bad but didnt really learn much to be honest
on 8 December 2017
A Gift for someone - I'm sure it's great - just not my thing
on 19 June 2013
This is a good reference book when studying body posture which I was when I bought it. I don't use it as much as other books of similar content.
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 December 2006
When I heard that Victoria Beckham was publishing a style guide I was curious. I'm not a fan, but I don't have anything against her either.

Having now read it (it took a day) I'm still a bit undecided. `That Extra Half an Inch' is written in a cosy style - it's like you're having a cup of coffee with Mrs Beckham. The book is nicely set into different sections; Tops, Day Dresses, Gifts (a lovely idea), make-up (disappointing) etc. And the photos are really stunning.

That said I didn't actually learn anything new. This book is mostly a higher end where-to-buy guide. Come on - are all of the designer names Vic drops really useful to the average person on the street? Are our husbands going to whisk us off to Paris and New York for shopping? (Even if they did have the money I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you). Plus, this book must be sponsored by Top Shop; I lost count of the number of times the shop name cropped up.

I'm really conflicted in my view. A lovely, if impractical, style guide. I would get another book, if one was ever published, just because of the nice, intimate writing style.
on 18 July 2007
So I'm 14, I like Victoria Beckham and think she has great style and was bought this book for my birthday. This book, as it does say on the cover, isn't 'my attempt to tell you what or what not to do. It's just to share some of what I've learned.' And that's exactly what it's about. It's not a book telling you what to do, it's a book telling you what Victoria does. It's split up into lots of different sections: jeans, tops, accessories to name just a few, which I think was a clever idea so instead of having to plough through the whole book to read about her advice on evening dresses you can skip straight to the 'parties' section and pick up some inspiration. It's seemingly light reading even though at a first glance the 311 pages can look quite intimidating. I do think it's a good book, and it serves it's purpose giving us an insight into Victoria's wardrobe, and in some parts her daily life, however if you are a teenage reader, like myself, looking for a snappy read to pick up some fashion tips from your fave celeb I do think it's a little heavy going and won't keep you entertained. It's more about style and how Victoria Beckham dresses and has settled into her style rather than the latest fashions and how to pull them off. Definitely a fab read though, three smiley faces =] =] =]
Hope this helped.
X
0Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 September 2007

Also, I think the book is sponsored by Top Shop; I lost count of the number of times the shop name cropped up. We can go to Gucci or Topshop, Fendi or Topshop, and so forth. She knows the name of a high street store, we get it; Vicky's one of us!!

on 15 July 2007
I realise that this book has had some harsh reviews, however people are forgetting that this book is about Victoria's personal style, it is obviously not for everyone! If you're a fan of Ms. Beckham, which I am then this book is a good read.

The book is split into sections (jeans, tops etc.) which is handy if you only want to copy a certain aspect of her style and each section contains drawings, advice, pictures of Victoria and a 'where to buy' guide, all of which are well presented.
The book is not just about fashion, Victoria also talks about hair, make-up and gifts. Which is great if you're rubbish at buying presents like I am! I found Victoria's advice to be very honest, even if I did'nt agree with everything that she said (She claims that cropped tops are never acceptable, I disgaree!).

Of course there are some flaws with this book. Firstly, the pictures are gorgeous, but the clothes she wears and the clothes shown are mainly designers- Gucci, Jimmy Choo etc, these labels are hardly affordable for the average woman. The only High-Street alternative she offers is Topshop.
Personally I feel like the book is too expensive. The RRP is £20, quite a hefty price for a book that you'll only read once (and probably in a day!).

Overall, I give this book three stars. You'll probably only read it once and you probably can't afford the clothes, but I bet you won't be able to put it down!

I think it would be a great gift for any girl, even if you know she'll only look at the pictures!
on 11 November 2006
I have to agree that the writing is not very engaging and she does tend to list a load of products and designers etc, so it tends to read as though she's just noting down products that pop into her head...BUT I also think that this is a good book, for maybe teenagers or perhaps older, who don't happen to have many female friends to share tips with, or who don't know where to get the perfect pair of faded jeans on the highstreet. Also, not everyone has lots of money to try all these products, so someone that has, and who is obviously addicted to cosmetics, has pinpointed the ones she finds the best so has taken out the guess work for you. I think it's perhaps a bit patronizing in places and so the people that are likely to read this book, know their stuff anyway, but if you're a tad clueless like me, it's an OK read.
on 20 November 2006
I admire Victoria's style; it's very elegant and definitely suits her. When I knew she was publishing a fashion guide I couldn't wait to get it. Now as i finished reading it, I should say I was a bit disappointed

Unlike the other fashion guide books, her book is unorganized. It's a mess. Her thoughts, opinions and tips are all over the place. It has some useful advices though, but overall you would have to like READ the entire chapters of the book just to get the gist of it!!

(I enjoyed the pictures though)

It could have been written in a more appealing easy to read style. Anyway if you are a fan of Victoria you would certainly enjoy the book.
0Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse