on 23 May 2016
Have discovered the joy of Marian Keyes books quite late in my life (not sure why) but so glad I have. This book seems to be about lots of different women but they all have one thing in common - a very charming but (secretly) abusive politician. Having Irish roots myself I can just see the countryside & the old houses & people just as they're written. A fantastic book with a great twist at the end. I'd give it 10 stars if I could.
on 6 March 2017
Im not entirely sure this is a marian keyes book, it doesnt seem like her style at all, her other books are great, funny, witty and well written but this book seems odd and its not an enjoyable read with short sentences and a lack of Is, mes, and mys, iv never read a book quite like this and i dont really think il be able to finish it, it just seems to be getting worse as i go through. Also the storyline, what a way to make women sound pathetic when they have been dumped, ruining her career and running off to stay in a cabin seems a bit dramatic.
on 8 July 2015
What a great read! I've come to Marian Keyes recently and found This Charming Man very funny, deeply moving and so well written in terms of alcoholism and domestic violence. Don't be put off - there is so much fun in this book too!
My favourite character was Lola and laughed out loud several times when she was rattling round Knockavoy. I simply could not stop reading it and got very irritated when my life intervened.
So, for me, the best Marian Keyes yet.
on 7 February 2009
I, like many others, have enjoyed Marian Keys from her Watermelon, Rachel's Holiday etc days. There WERE things about this book which I found difficult - Lola's style of writing took some getting used to, but this was a book about REAL women who are disempowered by an attractive but controlling man. Unlike other readers I wasn't looking for the formulaic - woman has bad time with bad man and then good man rescues her novel, I was wanting to read an author who CLEARLY understands real life - in Marian's case, if I'm not mistaken, the life of an alcoholic (which was portrayed in all it's frustrating realism), but also the process of recovery which was shown in a sometimes funny sometimes painful way. I am really looking forward to my second read of this book (in probably a year's time - I read all my books a number of times) when I will be able to enjoy this book from another angle, and relax into knowing the characters more. Marian please - if you read this please keep moving forward and don't be tempted by those who have said they were disappointed to move back to the formulaic style which often characterises first novels. You have a real talent and I look forward to whatever you bring us next.

Emma S-K
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 11 May 2008
Books which have several narrators, as this one does, can be confusing. This one manages to avoid the pitfalls. I found the Lola segments irritating because of the Bridget Jones-speak but they also contained some of the funniest scenes with the cross dressers.

This Charming Man deals with some very serious issues and deals with them well in my opinion. The tension builds up and even if you've worked out what's going on some of the scenes are still shocking. I felt that maybe the ending was a bit too trite and it leaves some important loose ends hanging - ready for another book perhaps?
I found the characters convincing apart from Damian who was just a bit too good to be true. I would love to see more of Dee Rossini who seemed like an interesting person, as was Lola in fact in spite of the style in which her sections were written.

I'm not a particular MK fan though I really enjoyed `The Other Side of the Story'. `This Charming Man' is every bit as good as that and I recommend it as an example of chick lit with a bite.
on 2 April 2017
A good read but some chapters much too long and then gets a speedy ending. Appropriate for a holiday read, however don't think I would have "stuck with it" had I not been on the beach and had lots of time to fill. This is first Marian Keyes book I've read, and when next on holiday perhaps may try ano of her books but won't rush into it. A very popular writer but ......
on 14 July 2008
While I agree with many of the points made by Blonde Bookworm's review (and particularly her comments about other authors - cool review) and many other critical ones, I enjoyed myself (if you can describe reading a book about such dark subject matter as enjoyable). This is a very clever book. It tackles a very hard subject with aplomb, and leads you neatly to the end. I found Marnie's story heart-breakingly realistic, unsurprising as Marian Keyes has suffered the same way herself, and I didn't have any problems with the style of Lola's diary. I loved the characterisation of Grace.

But yes: the novel needed to be tightened. I imagine that if you're an author as successful as MK, it takes a brave editor to cut a book up. And I also agree: what's with the 'molichino' highlights mentions at weird moments?!
on 27 March 2017
I rarely stop reading a book but think I will probably give up on this one. It is so bizarrely written, in a sort of shorthand slang style. At first I thought this was just when the story was told in the first person, but it is used throughout the book and just comes across as if an immature teenager has written the book. Such a shame as I suspect the story itself is good, I just can't stand how it is written.
on 12 June 2017
A beautifully written book that I have, so far, read about 5 times!! The first time I read it I was on holiday and this has been the first book that, when I had finished, I turned to the front and started it again! You will laugh out loud and you will cry. Lola will have you in hysterics and Marnie will break your heart. I have read all of Marian's books but this one is my absolute favourite . Could not recommend enough! Enjoy!!
on 19 March 2017
How Keyes manages to keep up the momentum of each voice is nothing short of a miracle. Lola in particular is an exceptional literary feat. Never underestimate an author with pink book jackets!