on 11 November 2013
Great for anyone who likes Jimmy Carr and/ or is interested in jokes and/ or stand up comedy. Interesting, funny, well written and researched.
As a joke writing teacher I know a lot of students come to class clutching this book hoping it will tell them how to write jokes. It doesn't. It is however a romp through the history of jokes, a diversion into dirty jokes, taboo jokes, political jokes. It's packed with jokes basically, which makes it a fabulous read and a nice diversion. I particularly liked the jokes from `repressive' regimes down the centuries and some of the taboo ones made me gasp!
on 19 August 2010
Book Arived in good condition and on time, the book itself is a good read and full of jokes and thought proviking subjects.
on 1 August 2009
I had certain expectations with this book. The positive ones were proved right and the negative ones were proved wrong.
First of all I thought Jimmy Carr might just be a name to sell the book and that Lucy Greeves might be the real author. I suspect I was wrong: it does actually read like they both had an input thoughout. Secondly, I worried that if Jimmy Carr did have an input I might not like his input. I was wrong: in the words of David Walliams on the back cover "Like most people I hate Jimmy Carr but this book is OK"). I thought there was a possibility that this book might be an interesting exploration of what jokes were really about. I was right. I worried that you can't have a serious discussion and a laugh at the same time - one would win out over the other. I was wrong: the serious bits are interesting and thought-provoking and the examples are funny.
Highly recommended to anyone with a brain and a sense of humour (if neither of these apply then don't buy it!).
on 9 September 2014
A very good book that looks into the different facets of humour, with jokes on every single page
on 13 June 2010
Though not a particular fan of Jimmy Carr (manly due to the stiffness of his joke, joke, joke formula of stand up and occasional over-reliance on shock humour) I did find this book incredibly endearing and funny.

The first thing you'll noticed when reading this book is how well written it is - performing and admirable and difficult task of being entertaining and informative at the same time whilst also maintaining a fast paced writing style.

At the foot of each page is an archive joke to keep you hooked (with its author credited where available) as well as a selection of classic jokes at the end of each chapter.

Put simply this book does everything you want and more - exploring the meaning, psychology and history of humour and jokes. It's consistently funny, informative and well written.
on 21 January 2017
I like Jimmy Carr humour but this din't captivate me to the end of the book.
on 19 July 2008
valuable insight into the structures and history of jokes - and a great jokebook itself!
on 8 October 2015
still reading it, strange reading about theory of comady
on 21 December 2015
Perfect for people with this specific sense of humour.