Jamie's Italy
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 April 2017
What a great recipe book writer Jamie Oliver is. (Or perhaps was? I can't help but imagine he's more of an 'executive chef' these days.) He doesn't bother with theory too much - and despite the well-thought out and exact instructions, never comes across as prescriptive.

Luvlee jublee. Recommended for the intermediate home chef, although there is plenty here too to get started on if you're a beginner. You can't go wrong with Pasta alla Norma for instance. As for the fish recipe that requires 3kg of sea salt, I'll leave that for the time being.
on 2 August 2006
Rear cover quote from 'Daily Express':

'The food is simply explained and superbly presented, and it makes you want to cook very dish.'
319 high quality, shiny pages, split over main chapters:

10. The Wonderful World of Bread
11. Desserts
12. Bevvies
13. You Are What You Eat

sandwiched twixt an introduction with a note about 'herbs', and a concise index.

Finishes, as usual, with JO's 'Nice One' - his 'thanks' section.

Photography from David Loftus - JO, his family & friends, places, ingredients and for most but not all the recipes.
Typical JO banter throughout e.g.:

'Fantastic Fish Finger Buttie'
'Sticky Sausage Bap with Melted Cheese and Brown Sauce' with a note - 'Just get 3 half-decent snags (that's sausages to us southerners) .........!'
'Pancakes, USA style -'instead of being thin and silky like French crepes, they are wonderfully fluffy and thick and can be made to perfection straight away - my Jools goes mad for them'.......
'The Best Steak Sarnie'
'Superb Roast Beef, Best Spuds and Huge Yorkies'

Useful notes head up most recipes and there is an intro for each new chapter, e.g.

From 'Quick Fixes':

'This chapter is all about really fast tasty ways to eat good old chicken, steak, cod and salmon, time and minimal washing up being of the essence. I'm going to give you quick methods like frying or grilling, or my favourite, baking in the bag, which I started doing when Jools and I first moved to London six years ago.......I love making these little envelopes, or bags, with all the ingredients placed in the middle of them......the great thing is that you cook your meat or fish in the same bag as your vegetables and herbs which, in turn, gives you a great home-made sauce.'

A small taste of the recipes contained within:

* Toad in the Hole
* Lovely Lemon Curdy Pud
* The Best Hot Chocolate
* Christmas in a Glass
on 27 June 2016
Another great book with nice photographs and easy to follow recipes. I have tried few of them and it was great but i still prefer to see photograph, ingredient list and follow recipe in my own way :)))
on 27 June 2016
Great photographs. Recipes are easy to follow but I had to admit that i Have never cooked from this book following the exact recipe. I always see picture, ingredients and do it my own way :)))
on 11 December 2017
when I bought this book it arrived slightly damaged. However, on contacting the seller, they couldn’t have been more helpful. They had a replacement book out to me within the next day. The customer service was absolutely 5 star, and I would highly recommend them.
On the recipe side, so far so good. Typical Jamie Oliver recipes - simple to make, easy to follow, you don’t need a ridiculous pantry of world foods and really tasty.
on 11 October 2006
I'm not usually the chef in our household, but using this book I created some wonderful meals. Recipes are easy to follow and his enthusiasm for Italy and Italian food is on every page. Makes cooking fun and mealtimes a proper Italian family affair.
on 27 November 2017
I've really got into cooking lately and the recipes put forward by Oliver are great! I love this book!
on 10 March 2017
as always Jamie has done it again. brilliant, great recipes.
on 14 November 2017
Very please with item,arrived when stated.
on 30 November 2017
I am Italian so sometimes I do not recognize certain suggestions. I am not a big fan of Jimmy but this book is a good ones for my taste!