Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 27 January 2009
I love this cook book! It is a welcome contrast to his previous books and I refer to this book especially when I am entertaining friends. So far all the recipes have worked really well and he has great ideas for combining ingredients. I came across this book because friends cooked us a wonderful meal using one of its fish recipes. Get it and be inspired to cook for friends!
on 6 November 2014
fantastic!! packed with mouth watering recipes which are crying out to be made and enjoyed so who was i to argue, simple step by step guides to make loads of Jamies favourite Italian recipes, I've tired a few already and my kids LOVED them, delivery time was ( as with all things Amazon) superb, only problem is now i can't decide on which other Jamie book i want next…….
on 29 March 2000
I love cooking, but I've never been so inspired as I have been with The Naked Chef. The recipes jump out of the page and make your mouth water before you even start to walk to the kitchen! Jamie has an art that a lot of chefs don't seem to show off - that of the fact that he loves food. His traditional roast chicken oozes character and yet it is such a simple dish and his variety of mash makes you wonder why you ever thought that just butter would do! His pasta making is awe inspiring and lets those, who have never wanted to venture into such a thing, experiment and realise the ease, by just putting in that little extra time and effort, of creating homemade pasta which certainly goes down well at dinner parties! Makes you look like a real pro!
The sheer overall feeling of not being afraid to try in all his recipes gives a relaxed feeling to cooking, that I never felt before.
Well done Jamie! You can come round and cook for me anytime, or inspect my concoctions and see what you think!
on 2 January 2009
Jamie Oliver is the chef for the average person. I love Italian food but find most recipes expensive or too time consuming not to mention too extravagant for what I want. This book is now my joint favourite cook book along side Jamies Ministry of Food it's simple easy to follow and the pictures make your mouth water. Keep up the good work Jamie.
on 27 April 1999
Jamie Oliver's book was a must, following his current t.v. series. The enthusiasm he gives out on t.v. absolutely oozes out of the pages. I found myself thinking " I wouldn't have ever tried to make that" but Jamie's words make sense of everything and after reading a few recipes all I wanted to do was crush up the flavours in a pestle and mortar and get on with cooking. After watching him make Focaccia bread on the t.v. I followed his directions. Sadly Stage 2 of the bread recipe on page184 didn't turn out as I'd expect, but I will persevere once I've cleaned up my kitchen and scraped the dough off the walls! (He did say on your largest clean surface!) The whole book, from the introduction to the credits is a true example of the integrity, enthusiasm and honesty of this talented chap. Well done Jamie, you can cook me a meal anytime! (Does anyone know where I can buy a decent pestle and mortar?)
on 28 May 2009
I bought this for my girlfriends birthday as she is getting into trying different things in cooking now. We really enjoy italian food and this book has some really nice things to choose from. The only thing with this book though is the instructions could have been a little more simolified for the less experienced cook.
on 18 October 2005
With a more 'dynamic-looking' cover than is the norm for Jamie, the contents are the typical easy-to-read format we have come to expect from the Oliver stable.
Well presented with superb photography throughout and a book that you can pick up to read at any time, in any place.
The bulk of the recipes are, in honesty, nothing new, but the sensational use of the 'Oliver speak' just give them that fresh appeal and the urge to get into the kitchen and actually do it!

'In writing this book I didn't just want to give you a collection of Italian recipes, I wanted to share some experiences with you, too. So I wrote it while I travelled the country; working and eating and meeting people off the beaten track. I wanted to find the food of the 'real' Italy and to celebrate the recipes from the people I met along the way. I wanted to experience
the spirit of Italy that makes cooking and eating so central in family life - And I want you to experience it, too - I want you to go and find the old woman making polenta in the town of Bari in Puglia, or go and visit the lovely people who run the Petorlo estate in Tuscany......I want you to buy 12 artichokes from the weathered old codger in the market in Rome...............'.
'What can I say about 'pasta'.......?
Well if you want the real truth, the moment I stopped cooking sloppy, sticky, uninteresting, predictable pasta and started making pasta that was delicious, using the same commodities, and ingredients that Italians use at home, was the moment my cooking changed forever. Have a go at making it and enjoy it. Remember...it's just about the knack - it's not rocket science!'
Speaking of 'rocket' - the recipe for 'Spaghetti con Gamberetti e Rucola' (Spaghetti with Prawns and Rocket) is a wonderful and colourful combination of flavours.
It's the 'heat 3 good glugs of extra virgin olive oil' ........that just endorses this recipe as a 'Jamie version' and moves him well away from the pretentious 'precise amounts' brigade of chefs!
It is also nice to see another young chef acknowledge the remarkable talents of Elizabeth David and if you don't already have a copy of her Italian Food, this book is also well worth a place on the kitchen bookshelf.

But back to Jamie's Italy- [..]
on 11 March 2011
This is not restaurant food. It is real, healthy, tasty country food. Have yet to find a dud recipe. The only downside is that Jamie wrote this for a TV series a couple of years back and so the hard-back version is no longer available. My current paper-back is getting tatty already.
on 9 February 2009
This was my first Jamie book and I loved it so much this was my second copy after the first died. I love Jamie and now have several of his books. What I liked about Naked Chef however is that its easy. Not too much choice, not too many ingredients, but really good food.
on 25 July 2003
As a chef myself the recipes and pictures are wonderful. I use all of Jamies books almost everyweek to get ideas for my menus. His food style is awesome and this book reflects it. I special ordered this book from the UK since it is not available in Canada, and I don't regret the extra that I paid for this book. It is his best yet.