Customer reviews

Jamie's Italy
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 12 September 2017
Excellent service and book was what it said on the tin! Would recommend.
on 13 September 2017
As per description - very good condition and good pricing.
on 30 December 2015
wife's choice
on 8 November 2001
The latest Jamie Oliver collection is as much a culinary pleasure as ever. The book production is stylish and feels more mature than the first volume (can't comment on the second) : out with the annoying illegible pastel blue titles that were difficult to read, and in with more tasty, unpretentious recipes using ingredients that are supposedly all available at a particular British supermarket if ever you are stumped for a place to find them. But more importantly, these recipes encourage the lads (and probably lasses too) to get down the shops, out of the oven-ready section, into the fresh produce sections, and then into the kitchen.
Although some of these recipes may be considered as fairly standard fare (toad in the hole, spag bol, chilli, and the fish finger buttie) and may not appeal to those who think of themselves as elite foodies, he has a great knack of demystifying ingredients and procedures as he goes along. The use of good flavours, loads of herbs and a minimum of cream - don't your arteries feel better? - continue to illustrate those tasty Italian and Euro-Thai styles which he and Nigel Slater have both cultivated so well. The cult of Jamie's personality may come through in the photos but who cares! The texts are light and fun to read. His enthusiasm simply oozes from the recipes. The kids' section is lively and serves a very useful purpose in the promotion of good food and good cooking. Having tried many of his recipes in the past - and speaking as a man who loves to slave over his stove - part of the fun is adapting them the second (and third, etc.) time around with a pinch of this and a slug of that.
The use of a recipe per page makes for a clear read and avoids editorial disasters such as the early 80s edition of a very famous tv cook's 3-part book where her truly divine squidgy chocolate log recipe tells you to "whisk until the mixture thickens" - then turn the page - "slightly - but be careful not to get it too thick"...!
So Jamie, what next? How's about a book of vegetarian recipes? If it can live up to the previous collections, I'm looking forward to it already!
on 5 October 2006
This is an excellent book, the recipes are dead easy to follow but give very impressive results. It also has some interesting anecdotes about the origins of the recipes and how Jamie came across them, written in everyday language dripping with enthusiasm. Nicely illustrated too. Easily the most used recipe book in my collection.

I didn't see the TV series, so I can't say how it compares to that, but I would recommend this for anyone with a passing interest in Italian cookery - you will see improvement fast.
on 7 April 2007
I never really had much time for Jamie Oliver before this book. Like one of the other reviewers here, I am an Italian, I was raised in the south, in Campania and I was bought this book for Christmas. It's beautiful, the feel of the book is rustic and the pages heavy. The photo's brought tears to my eyes, just pictures of everyday people and things. As the other review said, not many recipies, but the quality of the ones that are there will leave you speechless. My only wish is that there was a DVD accompanying this book. It's wonderful, just simply wonderful
on 13 August 2017
Reading the recipes for the first time, I kept thinking, "What? Jamie's gotta be kidding. That will never work!" I forgot he is a culinary genius, part of whose talent is to take the simplest of ingredients and show mere cooks like me how to turn them into something extraordinary. We have had many great meals from this excellent book, some of which have become regular favourites.
on 7 September 2001
Jamie Oliver has done it again producing yet another book which will have you running to the kitchen to get cooking.
The trademark cheeky geezer style remains the same and the book is as much of a feast for the eyes as the earlier two. Full page colour photos of most of the dishes will have you salivating in anticipation; the food in this book demands to be cooked right now.
The recipes follow the familiar Oliver style; good fresh seasonal produce, gutsy flavours, loadsa herbs, minimal fuss and measurements by the handful.
Jamie's creed remains live to eat, don't eat to live but his style takes account of the fact that us lesser mortals are not full time chefs who can think about and prepare food full time with unlimited access to the best suppliers. His unbounded enthusiasm for his subject is utterly infectious and the chapter on cooking with children will hopefully inspire a generation of kids, and their parents, to look beyond chicken nuggets and beef burgers.
His straightforward approach to food means that the recipes are completely undaunting. This is a book which will provide many meals to be cooked as therapy at the end of a long hard day.
on 2 August 2006
Rear cover quote from 'Daily Express':

'The food is simply explained and superbly presented, and it makes you want to cook very dish.'
319 high quality, shiny pages, split over main chapters:

10. The Wonderful World of Bread
11. Desserts
12. Bevvies
13. You Are What You Eat

sandwiched twixt an introduction with a note about 'herbs', and a concise index.

Finishes, as usual, with JO's 'Nice One' - his 'thanks' section.

Photography from David Loftus - JO, his family & friends, places, ingredients and for most but not all the recipes.
Typical JO banter throughout e.g.:

'Fantastic Fish Finger Buttie'
'Sticky Sausage Bap with Melted Cheese and Brown Sauce' with a note - 'Just get 3 half-decent snags (that's sausages to us southerners) .........!'
'Pancakes, USA style -'instead of being thin and silky like French crepes, they are wonderfully fluffy and thick and can be made to perfection straight away - my Jools goes mad for them'.......
'The Best Steak Sarnie'
'Superb Roast Beef, Best Spuds and Huge Yorkies'

Useful notes head up most recipes and there is an intro for each new chapter, e.g.

From 'Quick Fixes':

'This chapter is all about really fast tasty ways to eat good old chicken, steak, cod and salmon, time and minimal washing up being of the essence. I'm going to give you quick methods like frying or grilling, or my favourite, baking in the bag, which I started doing when Jools and I first moved to London six years ago.......I love making these little envelopes, or bags, with all the ingredients placed in the middle of them......the great thing is that you cook your meat or fish in the same bag as your vegetables and herbs which, in turn, gives you a great home-made sauce.'

A small taste of the recipes contained within:

* Toad in the Hole
* Lovely Lemon Curdy Pud
* The Best Hot Chocolate
* Christmas in a Glass
on 21 November 2001
I have an obsession with cookery books, anyone in my family will tell you.... I buy them willy nilly and then only use one or two recipes out of the hundreds listed.
I thought there was no hope for me, that I was destined to end up with rows upon rows of cookery books with useless recipes until "The Naked Chef" came to my rescue!
Now I have books where there are hundreds of recipes for me to use, not only am I blinded by the colourful photos that have me drooling (Sorry Jamie, the food - not you!) but the recipes are fool proof and seem to work all of the time, life is easy, time is on my hands and I do get a chance to drink with my mates.
All I can say is buy the book, it is fun, easy to read and simple - a bit like me! Seriously, a super gift for anyone, I have just bought it for my Sisters birthday, I suggest that anyone looking for a fun and useful present does the same.
In the meantime Jamie, if you ever want to cook round mine you are more than welcome!