on 20 August 2017
Good companion volume to Lisa Chaney's biography of ED. As authorised biography thought it might be economic with the actuality as they say but it was not.
on 10 January 2018
Good condition, terrific book!
on 13 March 2018
Excellent
on 15 February 2018
A lovely book, just a shame it's not hardback. Excellent service from supplier.
on 13 January 2018
A most interesting read - thank you.
on 27 March 2016
well worth reading
on 2 December 2012
A clear and concise acount of her life that is engaging to read in a way that maintains interest for the reader.
on 30 December 2011
This is a disappointing book. It ought to be a rollicking good story. After all, it is the tale of an energetic young woman who brings the vibrancy and colour and richness and taste of the sunny Mediterranean to a dull, gray, drab post-war Britain. But this book captures none of that. It's a plodding recitation of facts punctuated with dozens of dull characters who appear for no reason and disappear soon after. I'm sure it's fine as a reference book. But it's a dull read.
on 13 February 2002
I normally steer well clear of authorised accounts of people's lives after all the really interesting facts are invariably the very ones which people seek to hide. Elizabeth David being such a huge figure in the culinary world and the depth of research I perceived from merely a cursory glance at the index intrigued me enough to give it a whirl. While I can't say I'm ready to revise my longstanding rule I am glad I made the exception in this case. I can't help feeling however that through some of the stories presented the author could present a somewhat more revealing portrait of not constrained by the conditions of that fateful epithet.
Notwithstanding this is still a fine volume and bears many of the hallmarks of a classic. It would be of particular interest to foodies as well as anyone who was just after a collection of (true life) ripping yarns. David lead a remarkable life during turbulent times, travelled widely and wrote beautifully and authoritatively. She was reluctant however to reveal more of herself to her public than what was presented in her various classic treatises on food.
She remains one of the central figures in food literature and can be viewed in detail now as a thoroughly interesting character.
on 13 February 2002