on 21 June 2017
Having (literally) grown up adoring T.H. White's 'The Once and Future King,' for many years I resisted some of the other popular interpretations of the Arthurian legends. it was only a few years ago that I ventured so far as to read Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy, and loved it. That encouraged me to press on with Cornwell, whose representation is by far the grittiest, and furthest from the realm of legendary sword and sorcery of those I have read.

I thought it was superb.

Whilst a bit slow to get started, you shouldn't let that put you off. Press on and at about the 50-75 page range the plot reaches out, grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go until the end. Be aware that Merlin, and even Arthur, do take a bit of a back seat in this story: the stars of the show are Nimue (who, in this literary incarnation, I guarantee you will never forget!) and the narrator, Derfel, a Saxon foundling turned Celtic warlord turned monk (and saint!).

I really can't praise this enough. If you're enjoying 'The Last Kingdom' on the BBC/Netflix, give this a try...you are in for a treat. I've downloaded the second part of the trilogy but am saving it for my upcoming holiday in Brittany (not far from Broceliande). Can't wait!
on 23 March 2017
This is a classic series, by far the best of Bernard Cornwell's considerable library and I believe his own favourites.
I have worn out the books, bought more, and am now investing in a kindle set.
Please Peter Jackson make a film version and LotR fans will make it a block buster.
Every now and then a book is written which is so captivating that it just cant be put down. This story is amazing, its immense and so well written. Everyone should read this series which has been so eloquently written. Well done Mr Cornwell.
on 22 May 2017
Part of the Last Kingdom chronicles can't get enough of these books have also bought the Last Kingdom DVD's and can't wait for series 3.
on 21 March 2017
As to be expected Bernard Cornwell brings skill, excitement and a wonderful sense of history to this unknown period of our past. Brilliant, thank you Mr. C.
on 11 July 2017
As a Cornwell fan this was excellent but make no mistake it's closer to GRR Martin than Sharp. Enjoyable but it's fantasy.
That said I'm away to buy the next book.
on 9 April 2017
Another excellent book from the master Bernard Cornwell - can't wait to listen to the next in the series.
on 20 July 2017
Another Bernard Cornwall masterpiece. I've read most of his books but never tried this series and I am loving them. Thanks x
on 26 June 2017
This is a very interesting and different Arthur story. I enjoyed this book very much.
on 7 April 2017
have read this book three times, and find it is still a blinding read.