Customer reviews

on 13 October 2016
Absolutely horror story which unfortunately it's so very true. The author manages to capture the true extent of the abuse those children went through.

I found myself getting so angry at what happened to those kids not only by the perpetrators but by the people in power who covered the whole sordid thing up.

I really don't care if your religious or atheist or just don't have an opinion one way or another about any god but for the men of the Catholic Church who abused those children and the men who covered it up, well if there is a heaven there must be a hell and those guys will be heading straight there.

A story that had to be told
on 24 April 2015
I found this account to be quite compelling in the simple, direct way it was told. It's a view of these particularly tragic happenings from a different perspective - someone trying to investigate it - and it's interesting. Martin Ridge, with the local constabulary at the time, deserves a tremendous amount of credit for his determination and sheer slog. He worked all hours on the cases and really wore himself out emotionally along the way as well. This book seems to be a really worthy read somehow.
on 27 July 2016
Well written book, the scale of child abuse is disturbing, lack of support for the officers involved is shocking too
on 9 September 2013
I read this book because I have had no experience of child abuse. This book, although awful ,allows the reader to understand the reasons why these poor victims of heinous crimes can be persuaded and coerced into science. it also alerts one not to trust people in eminent positions as they can be totally different from the person the pretend to be.
on 23 March 2015
It confirms my own thoughts on the Catholic Church. They are experts in manipulation and training the laity to see on what they want them to see. In the past they have had too much power. As Lord Acton said -Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
on 27 May 2017
Once I started this book I couldn't put it down. It takes the reader through many stories of heroism - the main one being that of the numerous victims of abuse who found the courage to come forward and tell what happened to them. The two guards who led the investigations were heroes too, and rare men of that time in that they stood up to the church and the culture of numb silence which allowed paedophiles to keep harming children for decades.
We all need stories like this - reminders of what real human beings are capable of: a love that is so powerful it can change the world, making it a safer place for future generations.
Read this book and you will remember what life is all about.
on 8 December 2017
a very good read, a generation were ruined by these evil doers in west Donegal and well done Martin Ridge for putting them away
on 7 July 2015
so many young men scarred for life - better if the abusers had not been born --…NB reviewer j brown must have been reading a different book,heaping praise on the RUC
on 30 October 2008
Into the Dark

I have the great privilege of knowing the author Paddy personally.He served the Police honourably and with a total disregard for his own safety. I expected that this book would be a good read. It is better than that. I read it in just two days and it made me laugh, it made me sad, but most importantly it made me proud of an exceptional RUC undercover police unit where Paddy and his officers risked their lives to keep the streets clear of thugs,drug dealers, and hardened criminals not only here in Northern Ireland but on the British mainland,in Europe,and further afield.

In this current climate of continual smearing and undermining the brave efforts of officers of the former Royal Ulster Constabulary this book clearly shows that officers from that same Constabulary risked their lives on a daily basis at home and abroad simply to serve all of the citizens of this Province.

In Northern Ireland our children are presently being poisoned by the current array of drugs that are so freely and cheaply available to them. Paddys book shows how his undercover unit worked tirelessly to stem that flow. Paddy has much more to say and I for one would like to hear it. I can identify with the obstruction, the lack of vision and the blatant professional jealousy of the senior CID and Special Branch officers who made life so difficult for Paddy. Let them live with it!

Despite legal restrictions and the fear of educating criminals Paddy rises above all of that and affords us a facinating insight into the activities of his unit. I really enjoyed this book and I thoroughly recommend that you buy it. You will not be disappointed!
on 25 August 2010
I enjoyed this book immensely. I found it very informative. As I also knew quite a lot of the places mentioned it was interesting to see how they had changed. Would recommend this book as a good read. Look forward to reding more from this author.