Customer reviews

on 24 November 2008
I absolutely love this book for its simplicity and directness. All of the recipes which I have tried (so far) have turned out well, and that is quite an achievement. There can't be many chefs who write as plainly as Rachel Allen does - she gets the point across, without embellishment, and makes every dish seem both delicious and achievable for food enthusiasts of all skill levels. The Moroccan Chickpea Soup with Garlic Pitta Crisps are fabulously quick and tasty - firm favourites in my home - as are the Berry Compote, fruity Crumble, Provencale Chicken... I could go on, but I'm sure you can already appreciate how much I have enjoyed dipping in and out of this book of simple, varied and do-able dishes. There is truly something for everyone here - anyone who is familiar with Rachel's books will know that the recipes are grouped according to 'type' - from big Sunday lunches, to Romantic Dinners for Two. A good addition to any household's collection of cookbooks, although probably not for the self-professed gourmet! The recipes are unlikely to be 'advanced' enough for the semi-professional foodie. Wonderful for people who enjoy good food, cooked from scratch in the home, but who have busy lives.
on 12 November 2017
I like this book but didn't realize it was a paperback. Obviously my own fault, but that being said, I wouldn't have ordered it as I prefer my collection of cookery books (many) to be hardback copies. I will need to be more observant when buying any more cookery books.
on 11 March 2017
I'm very happy with my purchase.
on 14 August 2008
This is the first book of Rachel Allen I bought and I liked it so much, I bought all the other books too. If you're looking for some great recipes to entertain, this is the book you need, you'll find something for practically every occasion: "Christmas Dinner", "Romantic Dinner for Two", "Party Food", "Summer Lunch", "Midweek Supper Party", "Formal Dinner Party", "Sunday Lunch", "Big Family Lunch", "Girl's Night In", "Chocolate", "Barbecue", "Curry Night" and "Afternoon Tea". The book doesn't contain a lot of glossy photographs, but I don't feel you really need them with this book, the recipes are clear enough. I tried the "Little Pots of Passion", which are basically just mango and passionfruit fools - but oh so delicious (I had to make them again). A book you'll use again and again!
on 5 April 2006
this is the only cookbook i have ever made more than about 3 recipes from - the chick pea soup is easy quick and gained applause from a friend who has limited taste post a car accident - the crown of lamb and the two relishes with them worked well as did the spinach and garlic potatoes - and dessert as well from the book
on 20 January 2010
I borrowed this book and only used the recipes from the curry night section. The curries were really good possibly a bit mild, although i did make the madras korma and the rajhastani. Maybe my cautious choices are to blame! The curries themselves were gorgeous and the accompaniments specifically the buttered spiced basmati rice was sumptuous!
on 2 November 2010
This is a great Rachel Allen cookbook and is jam packed with recipes for every occasion. The only downside for me is that there are very few pictures, I like to see what I am cooking.
on 24 February 2011
Really like Rachel's style and simplicity of recipes. I have cooked several from this book already and they work! I have many cookery books and some more inspirational than this, but I would highly recommend it for the busy but keen cook.
on 12 January 2017
Very disappointing. I'm a massive fan of Rachel and have many of her more recent books which I have used a lot.This one was most uninspiring. Hardly any pictures, it's not till you have a book with literally no pictures of what you are creating that you realise how much you depend on them!! I've given it two stars because it's Rachel but really disappointed.. I won't send it back because I hardly paid anything, straight off to the charity shop sadly..🙁
on 1 December 2014
The book has tons of recipes that all seem quite nice and are in the usual Rachel form - which means that they are generally easy to follow. However, I was quite disappointed by the lack of pcitures. There are some but not many which I find a big shame, especially considering the price of the book. Also, there seems to be a misprint in mine, since the title of one recipe is there but the actual recipe is missing.....