on 24 April 2009
This book is absolutely brilliant. It does say that if you use an agent to manage the rent for you, you must also check the references yourself on the tenant they have for you. Ie telephone their employer, contact the last place where they lived and you can check this on the Land registry for £3. It says do a credit check that costs £15.

It also mentions the people who dress smart say all the right may be professional con people who do this all the time and they no their rights once they are in your property. It says in the book never let anyone into the property without getting the full deposit and 1st month's rent first, any one who makes excuses why they can't give you the money upfront is probably going to rip you off(don't take a cheque it has to be cash). It also says that 98% do pay their rents there is only 2% that don't but you always hear about the 2% that don't. After reading this book I would probably not go through an agency as they will not be as thorough in the checks that you would do. It lists all things you need to do etc and give's you sample letters, sample advert's, where to advertise, It gives you a house guide to give to the tenant when they first move in telling them where the stop value is, emergency numbers on plumbers etc. It tells you to take photos of the house before so they can't disagree when you charge them for something that is broken when they leave, it tells you how to evict a bad tenant and a copy of the Assured Tenantacy agreement you get them to sign etc. What tax to pay. It includes everything you need to know about renting. I thought I would need to read at least 5 books on the subject but this covers absolutely everything.
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2017
Absolutely INVALUABLE! So easy to read and comprehensive index makes it quick & easy to find the info I need. This is the 2017 updated version of 2015 that I bought when we first bought our rental house. I really don't need an agent when this gives me all the up to date relevant legal regulations (written in jargon free language). This man is an experienced & knowledgeable landlord and gives lots of invaluable personal & practical insight too & he is also a member of the industry recognised Landlords Association so I am very confident of the author's credentials as an expert in his field. I have been a landlord of 1 house now for 2 years & if I could rate this book higher than 5 stars I would do. I keep this book in my Kindle app on my phone so that I am ready for any problems etc.
on 23 May 2017
I bought my first buy-to-let around twenty years ago but because of work commitments and distance, for the most part I've relied on letting agents to take care of things. I bought this book mainly to get the confidence to manage properties myself, but also to get up-to-date with the regulations - I'm conscious a lot has changed for landlords over the years.

I'm delighted to say this book has ticked all the boxes:
- It covers off all of the essentials and has provided me with a solid grounding in what I need to be aware of.
- It gives pointers to other resources if I want more in-depth information. The list of contacts in the appendix is very handy.
- It is written in an easy-to-read manner: bite-sized and logical chapters which are packed with plenty of practical tips. I particularly liked hearing about the insights the author had gained from the occasional 'less than perfect' experience when dealing with tenants; it's clear the author has 'been there, done that' himself.

So all in all a book I'd recommend to novices to get them started and to the more experienced landlord who feels they are not quite up-to-date with best practice. Just wish I'd bought the book sooner!
on 27 November 2016
excellent, thorough, detailed, and well structured. this book helped me a lot before starting out as a landlord and still one of if not the best book i've read yet on residential lettings. still find myself going back to relevant chapters. although there have been some changes to the sector, this book is detailed enough to help you absorb and understand the underlying concepts and the necessary responsibilities of each party.
on 28 August 2017
I'm taking my first steps into the world of buy-to-let and found this book to be full of useful information and really easy to read. Each chapter is full of tips and references and is written in a clear & concise way. Not all of the chapters were relevant to me but as each covers a discrete topic you can skip any that don't apply to your situation.
Some reviewers have commented that the information in the book is common sense, probably true but you don't know what you don't know and if you want a clear guide as to the steps to take and the pitfalls to be wary of (the author refers to several instances where he has learnt things the hard way), I would recommend that you buy this book.
Is the information out there on the internet, for free? Again, probably and if you have time to trawl the internet pulling together all the different areas that's fine but if you are thinking of investing tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds in property, this is a few pounds very well spent in my opinion.
Make sure you buy the latest revision as tax reliefs are changing, buy to let seems to be an area that provides easy revenue for the government!
on 18 November 2017
I bought this book a few days ago and it has already been invaluable. The tips and tricks that David writes about are second to none. His experience really shines through this and his other e-book 'The buy-to-let landlords guide to finding great tenants'. I am a new accidental landlord i.e. Not an investor and so have a vetted interest in getting it right and I feel this book has pointed me in the right direction. There are lots of blogs on the net about this stuff but this book brings it all together into a coherent package which is easy to navigate and informative. I would definatly recommend it to anyone who is becoming a landlord like me. David has 30 years experience in the industry and so his insight is invaluable.
on 4 January 2017
Very informative book for landlords. Overall though the print is too small and the typesetting could make it an easier read. A bit dry but packed with information.
on 13 April 2017
This guy is the expert. He knows the game over many years. I knew little just six weeks ago, I now have invested in HMO's all to begin in the next few weeks. I took the trouble to buy the updated book, you should too.
on 10 September 2017
This book has a wealth of information that would benefit anyone who is looking to invest in property.
I found it to be straight to the point yet containing all the relevant facts and essential tips needed to be well informed how best to proceed.

Excellent all round!
on 3 September 2017
Helped us through the letting process