on 8 March 2015
This book doesn't have photos so is useless in the field, I can't use it to identify specimens which means it doesn't fit the description of "The Essential Guide". Also the list in chapter 12 - "A Wild Food Calendar" doesn't have reference numbers to find the species in the book. So one has to then refer to the index which sometimes isn't clear, (for example I looked up Barberry from the December list and it isn't in the index) to find the page to find the species and then there still isn't a picture. I would not have bought this as it is not my idea of an Essential Guide. So I have to buy another book now.
on 28 April 2017
A practical guide to preparing NOT finding wild food. This is not an ID book, there are no photos.
on 12 October 2016
If you are new to foraging - as I am - this book is not for you.
Great that the book contained recipes for the foraged items, but, for those of us who bought the book who have never foraged before, it is a let down. Simple because I would have loved to have either some pictures or drawing to give me an idea of what the item looks like so that I know that I am harvesting, or picking the right item.
on 10 March 2015
Not really very good or much use without pictures or photo's of what plant etc is what - for the total novice like me. I was hoping for a book with illustrations of all the edible plants and flowers as a guide to follow and identify.
on 10 June 2016
Very disapointed !! It is not a practical guide to finding plants, there are no pictures what so ever. It is basically a recipe book.
on 12 October 2014
Y'know it's been said right here in this review section that this book isn't suitable for a novice forager and upon buying it I find that that's completely the case. There are no illustrations (as has been said) and I'm not confident enough with the descriptions of many of the plants that the book contains .

I'm sorry I bought it, make sure you're not
on 20 October 2014
I don't normally write reviews, but in this case I'd like to stop anyone else from making my mistake. Put plainly; this book has no pictures and is thus all but useless to anyone new to foraging. I've given it two stars from that perspective as it is useful when combined with my other foraging book, that has pictures.
on 22 June 2016
This book contains much interesting information, which is almost entirely inaccessible for a beginner like myself: without illustrations, I simply have no way of knowing what to look for (and perhaps even more importantly, what to avoid). You may consider buying this book if you already know your plants, but if you're like me and you can barely tell a shrub from a tree, I recommend you look elsewhere.
on 23 October 2015
Sadly not a photo or sketch in sight so nothing like as good as I hoped. In fact I will probably find it difficult to use, just relying on descriptions. I would have thought that this was a rather obvious necessity!
I am not in the habit of taking risks with what could be DEADLY fungi - obviously I should have read the information better and realised I was going to have to guess! Recipes a good idea though.....
on 4 June 2014
Returned product as we are first time foragers and need pictures sometimes to identify wild food. Unfortunately no pictures in this book