Customer reviews

Love this book, full of great tasting food which isn't too difficult to make yourself.
on 4 March 2017
Loads of recipes, shame there are no pictures.
on 9 July 2017
Purchased as a Christmas present for my brother and he loved it :-) still not tasted his cooking yet though!!
on 1 July 2014
This book is really informative and could even be read just for the shear educational value. I was particularly interested in the different dishes from all the islands and the explanations of the herbs and ingredients. Have tried several of the recipes and they stack up very well. A real pleasure just reading them but even more fun giving them a try. Excellent value and a great read.
on 3 April 2017
This is a very good book, but it has its flaws. It is poorly structured: there's no reason why soups can't all be in one place, rice and peas in another, etc. Or perhaps Trini dishes, in one place, Jamaican dishes in another, though perhaps that is too divisive, but some sort of structure would be nice. The index is poorly laid out. However, it has nice recopies. I don't always agree with the measurements or ingredients, I'm Trini and know how things should taste, but overall, it has added to my cooking skills, I'm happy what I'm cooking and eating.
on 8 August 2013
A lovely, reasonably priced book. It has some very good traditional recipes in it. I waited a while for the publication of this book, but it was well worth the wait! I haven't tried any recipes yet, but glancing through it, it has quite a variety in it!! Thanks :)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 July 2014
I really love this recipe book (thanks for the recommendation Pixie!). My mum is originally from Trinidad, so I recently cooked the Chicken Pelau recipe for her which sent her into rapturous reminiscences. "I'd forgotten how good this was" and "THAT'S the flavour I had forgotten" were typical comments.

The book has a really wide selection of recipes and explains which island each recipe is from. Although a number of ingredients used may not be available in the UK, or perhaps can only be found in specialist grocery shops, the book describes exactly what these ingredients are, and makes helpful suggestions of more everyday ingredients which can be used instead.

With the liberal use of Scotch Bonnets (extra hot chillies), some recipes are a little on the warm side, but you can always cut back on the amount of chilli you use.

On a final note, I must comment on the Peanut Punch recipe. OMG! If you are not counting calories and like peanut butter, you really must try this (use the version which includes rum). Its like a sweet alcoholic peanut butter milkshake which is far nicer than it sounds.
on 11 June 2013
This is a handy and clearly-written Caribbean by David & Gwendolyn Daley with a great range of recipes from around the Caribbean. It is always a good sign when open a cookery book and you want to eat everything contained within. What I like about it are the recipes are no-nonsense and authentic.

The book begins with two elements essential to Caribbean cuisine, time and thyme. Don't rush things.

Take dhal puri roti skins. The Daleys write that it is art and takes a lot of practice. Too right. I have tried and made a hash of them. But this is making me want to keep at it, because a roti skin filled with a good curry is manna from heaven! As advised, time is needed, but the rewards are worth it.

My wife and I were pleased to see the classics, but even a version of bully beef and rice, which my wife concedes looks better than hers. Cannot wait to try the stew chicken and others.

The book's also adds that there is no right and wrong way, and that recipes vary from island to island, parish to parish, family to family. But the recipes feel real. The authors are mother and son and in lies its strength, because it presents the best kind of authentic cooking that comes out of the home. So, none of these, tv celebrity chef `versions' of classics, instead the Real McCoy.

If you are lucky enough to live near good West Indian shops or markets, you will find the ingredients easily enough. If you don't, a few ingredients might be hard to come up, except by mail order, but it is worth the extra effort to find them, because Caribbean cooking is fantastically diverse, rich and tasty. Diverse and full of great food. Caribbean cuising doesn't get the attention it deserves in the UK. This book helps change this.

Thoroughly recommended. Get reading, get cooking. Enjoy!
on 1 May 2014
I hadn't tried to cook any similar recipes before but the instructions were clear and the outcome brilliant.
I'm working my way through them all
on 28 December 2013
I just recieved this today! Altough I have not had the chance to make any of the recipes I am excited about doing so. i intended to just flick through but as soon as I started reading one recipe I couldn't stop.
Being of caribbean desent I was a lil sceptical of the authenticity,but I needn't of been! The recipes were bang on and taught me a lil too, it was almost as if I could taste it as I was reading.
It is a very concise book I especially love how at the beginning there is a glossary of common caribbean ingredients and cooking untensils. It lists thorough informationon both. Also in the recipes it also lists all the different names for the dishes that may not be known to most which I found helpful.

The background information and tips at the beginning of each recipe are a nice touch and at the back of the book it lists websites of where you can obtain ingredients to make the dishes if you don't have an ethnic store readily available :)

All in all I am excited about this book,it is a breath of fresh air and can't wait to try some of the recipes i've never made and tweak the ones i already do.