Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 June 2016
I am not an artist who draws, though I am good at line drawing - it's in the family genes as every generation has someone who can draw freehand. My skill is in Digital Art. However, I want to do casual art using coloured pencils while out and about and also while adding small drawings to my websites.

This excellent book shows me basic skills over a wide range of subjects. It's also a bonus that I can fit it into my Derwent Art Bag.
review image
on 11 April 2017
I purchased the Kindle version (no problem with download, received quickly). While I appreciate that it is supposed to be a 'quick start' book more instruction is required. For example, in the initial exercise drawing landscapes, the writer states 'begin with the very simple illustration in figure 5', However, no instruction is given until the following page when he advises on shading. Accordingly one is left wondering whether to start with foreground or background etc.
Overall the text is too chatty in style with some comments in the sections on drawing the human form which I found inappropriate.
I would not recommend this publication.
on 21 July 2017
I was really hoping this book would do what it said on the cover and while it does give guidance on how to get what you're looking at from in your head onto paper it is very poorly done. The chapters are broken into subject matter which seems sensible but there is very little technical guidance or instruction given on things like shading or perspective or how to put together a scene from beginning to end. This book has a lot of text in it for a book on how to draw, none of the drawings included show a step-by-step progression of how the drawing mas made and a lot of the instruction begins 'draw example x'

Not helpful at all.
on 17 March 2017
Brought for my son who loves to draw so got this to help him with drawing new things
on 5 July 2017
A really useful book for learning how to actually draw anything - even a novice can give it a go and create something suitable
on 22 March 2017
I bought this thinking it would teach me about techniques, perspective, shading etc. But no - it gives you no instructions on how to "look" at a scene, how to put it on paper. No step by step guide on how to build up a scene, from simple pencil sketch to full colour. Complete waste of time and money.
on 18 March 2017
Went well with the set of drawing pencils.
on 18 July 2017