Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 November 2008
This book was previously published as "Bridge - Play Your Cards Right" but has been reissued in the same inexpensive Right Way format. Great value for money, especially as it combines declarer and defence play, trumps and no-trumps contracts in a single compact volume. As usual with Mendelson, everything is very clearly explained. The book claims to cover "lots of real practical situations" and fulfils this 100%. Each key principle is explained and then illustrated with an example hand - 76 in total. Many books ignore the significant difference between tactics in rubber/teams bridge (make your contract or take risks to defeat opponents') and duplicate (making or preventing overtricks is vital); Mendelson does at least mention it, though not in depth. For a beginner aiming to improve, I would recommend this as the first "development" book he/she should get; one can get surprisingly good results with a simple bidding system if you play the cards well (and conversely, sophisticated bidding is no use if you can't make the contract or defend well, and can't be used in rubber or social bridge anyway). However, many improvers and experienced players will also find this helpful because it summarises the principles so well, and there are also many useful nuggets. The methods stick closely to accepted standard practice, which is just what you want for playing with random partners, although he does not treat the 10 as an honour card for opening leads which is mildly controversial (some do, some don't, but "standard" leads do), and he seems to advocate both "top-of-nothing" and MUD (second highest) leads simultaneously!
on 5 July 2009
I'd got the bidding right but my play didn't always follow until I read this book. Paul Mendleson has such a straightforward approach to teaching that you can't fail to improve. I certainly learnt a lot and understood how to play the cards better. Very worthwhile for any serious improver.
on 10 March 2014
I am full of admiration for Paul Mendleson's clear cut advise. I had duplicate bridge lessons for two years and got to a reasonable but basic level for Club bridge. I have several books written by Paul Mendleson and these are now my substitute for bridge lessons. Tremendously helpful advice is contained within every page. My game improves every time I take on board his clear cut advice. I thoroughly recommend this book and this writer.
on 6 September 2009
An essential text to gain play confidence & stature. Easily understood & well presented guidance for progressing play.
on 13 February 2010
Why didn't I buy this book years ago? Easy to follow, common sense, and I win more tricks....
on 27 February 2014
My partner and I play basic Acol and this book is really excellent for people playing this system. Had the book given a brief mention of other systems , weak twos, and other variations I would have awarded five stars. As it is I thought it was one of the best books I have read on Bridge and as soon as I have lent it to my partner so that we can adopt some of ~Mr Mendelson's suggestions , I am sure that our bridge will be more successful.
Incidentally we currently play strong twos with hardly any extra conventions ( no Stayman ,transfers , reverses etc. ) and although our results no doubt could be improved by adopting these and other additions recommended in the book it is amazing to me how successful one (or rather two ) can be in club bridge without any bells and whistles.
on 1 June 2015
when purchasing bridge books you need to be careful that you avoid american standard or such . With Paul Mendelson you can you can be sure you have Acol as we know it in the UK and Ireland. I highly recommend all Paul Mendelson's books. I think I have read and used all of them. I have read his Bridge for Absolute Beginners 3 or 4 times from cover to cover !
on 2 September 2015
I bought this for a friend, so I can not claim to have read it thoroughly, but a swift skim suggests that it will be very useful. There are lots of books on bidding but not so many on card play - however we should recognise that card play is at least as important as bidding - arguably more so.
on 18 November 2009
This was the original title of this book. Presented in a friendly readable style, the information is pitched at just the right level for the player with a good grasp of the basics who wishes to improve.
on 24 April 2012
This book is an essential tool for anyone serious about learning and practising their bridge
My understanding of the game has increased tenfold