Showing 1-10 of 288 reviews(5 star). See all 485 reviews
on 9 August 2017
Super book for those who wish to start doing more vegetables after trying to grow a few.I received this quicker than expected and I was pleased,I got stuck into the book right away.full of useful tips, some veg I never heard of but does have the common ones in.tells you what to look out for and how to treat the problems.i enjoy gardening, good for mental health and to be more environmentally friendly.a good little handy book.Thank you.
3 people found this helpful
on 27 October 2016
Wasn't exactly what I was expecting, however.... can't fault it, extremely informative.
I think I expected a grid or something detailing what could be grown each month...instead each chapter represents a month with hints and tips from produce, soil types, pests and much more, I am very pleased with this purchase.
4 people found this helpful
on 19 September 2017
Interesting read however i cannot read more than a paragraph a day however it is interesting that is by someone who started off less expierenced like myself it also explains different soil types however it does seem a bit more beneficial to the people who live in the same area of the country as the writer as he hasn't got a plot in ever area to know the soil types and how things grow.
on 24 July 2013
This book is absolutely brilliant. A MUST for any bookshelf. It is so helpful and with great tips. As I have explained in my previous review on 'John Harrison The Complete Vegetable Grower' - (as at the time of ordering I ordered both books) this little paperback has everything you need to know. As being a complete novice it has given me confidence in extending my variety of fruit/veg as the book is very clear and easy to understand. Many thanks to the 'forum' on BBC Gardeners World online as this book came with great recommendation. Looking forward to lifting my first lot of potatoes...... Good luck to all DIY growers.
on 22 January 2013
This is not only interesting but useful - have read it from cover to cover.

I am going to be moving permanently to a smallholding in Dorset – so know I will be dipping into it time and time again.
Gives tips on lots of subjects – you may not be able to have Chickens where you live (though if you have a back garden and grass – you certainly can!) but there is no reason why you can’t try baking your own bread, or making your own jam (and blackberries are free if you forage at the local park)!

With the cost of everything these days – this book is a good start at looking at ways to save (or reinforcing what you already know) – I brought it from the used section so feel like I am definitely getting there!
on 2 November 2017
I refer to this book often and cannot fault it really only that it is of course written with the UK gardener in mind and I live in Bulgaria where the seasons can contrast greatly from the UK, but of that, I make my own allowances and that has nothing to do with the book's contents.
on 18 September 2017
MADE A NICE GIFT, FOR A GARDENER, HE SAYS THERE IS ALWAYS MORE TO LEARN WITH GARDENING NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU DO IT.
on 18 March 2017
Wife found this very helpful, pleased with purchase.
2 people found this helpful
on 12 August 2015
excellent book on allotment gardening and gardening in general. info on each month is well worth the books price. If like me, you are new to allotments or growing vegetables it is very good. It tells you what you can plant and in what month, also it tells you what you could be eating now!
5 stars, well written and easy to read too, without being fussy or exclusive. its a book for everyone, even my 11 year old kids are reading it.
on 11 March 2018
Very good but I didn't realise when I bought it that it was by the same man as wrote the Allotment book that I bought so some of the information is word for word the same.