Showing 1-10 of 108 reviews(4 star). See all 485 reviews
on 24 April 2017
Perhaps not as many pictures or diagram as I would have liked but a lot of interesting useful tips if you are prepared to sit and read.
2 people found this helpful
on 31 October 2010
I thought this was an excellent book to start you thinking about different options. You would need to research certain topics further if you were really going to 'go for it' but a brilliant book to get you started.I liked the tone, it was very readable.
Some of the very few bad reviews speak about common sense etc but with the pace of living we tend to forget about common sense and get carried away with the tide, this was a nice book to ease us back to sanity.Perhaps these readers were just further along the eco path.
I really liked this book and would definitely buy it again.
3 people found this helpful
on 4 July 2015
Bought as a present for my dad - it's a really good book explaining when and where you should plant all your veg.

He's a complete beginner knowing very little about this subject and he's using it as a bible. A very good buy!

Arrived on time & packaged well.
on 25 November 2012
I like this book. The author clearly writes from experience and is not at all afraid to say what he thinks even if it means sounding a bit old fashioned. For example he has tried the much touted "three sisters" practice of growing squash, beans and sweetcorn together and found it not suited to the typical British summer. He doesn't simply repeat what he has read in other books, but instead records his own findings.
With this book you don't get glossy pictures at the expense of substance and good sense. What you get instead is a pretty good section on "how to" followed by the "when" in the month by month. I actually particularly liked the month by month section and found it very readable.
I am not a complete beginner at growing vegetables and have given this four stars rather than five as I am not sure it is all that a beginner would need, but I think it would be a good start at a sensible price and not money wasted on colourful pictures and trendy ideas. Money well spent.
on 3 May 2018
Good book, full of useful information.
on 18 April 2017
Great, practical guide for garden dummies :)
on 19 July 2017
well written and informative
on 22 October 2017
A very handy poster
on 16 April 2017
Good information.
on 21 August 2015
A very handy little book for the keen vegetable grower. Pick it and put it down every now and then and always something to refresh your mind.