on 23 September 2017
well I bought it for my daughter while she was doing astronomy- She passed by reading privately although she is now doing a masters in Neuroscience - it worked
on 17 October 2017
bit old, but still good
useful for those helping students study for GSCE
on 4 October 2002
As a teacher of science and maths with students ranging in age from 13 to 84, if there's anything I've learned about selecting textbooks, it's this: it is very, very rare that a text comes along that not only presents its subject matter with clarity and wit, but actively engages the imagination and inspires the mind. Moore and Lintott's GCSE Astronomy is just such a text.
The narrative style is friendly, conversational, and inviting; sometimes delightfully playful. The material is extremely accessible without compromising information content or attention to detail. The authors assume no previous experience with astronomy, but avoid the all-too-common errors of tragic over-simplification or stuffy condescension. And, perhaps most importantly of all, it's the kind of book to which one returns, long after one's studies are complete, because it's interesting, it's alive, and it's just so darn fun to read.
I recommend it unreservedly to students, teachers, and anyone who has an ounce curiosity about the world around them.
on 15 March 2001
When I first started to read this book I found that the style of writing was excellent. All of the text explained clearly what was going on. The harder mathematics involved was even more clearly explained. The diagrams which accompany most explanations were clear and easy to understand. Overall, this is an excellent introduction to general astronomy and, indeed, GCSE Astronomy. Once again I will thank the authors for producing such a splendid and informative book!
on 8 April 2007
Unfortunately this is the only proper textbook for GCSE Astronomy, and its pretty disappointing to say the least.

As a beginner, I find the explanations often unclear and confusing. It takes a while to get used to PM's style of writing, of which, you'll either love or hate.

The diagrams are good, but everything including the photos, is in b & w. The layout could be improved, for example, with subheadings so you don't end up scanning the whole chapter for an explanation.

All in all, a disappointing book and not recommended for beginners.
on 28 December 2011
This book (well, the 1st edition) holds many fond memories for me. In fact, it marked a turning point in my life. I first picked it up during a casual walk around a library in October 1995. I took the book home and started to read it. It was the smoking gun for: a passionate interest in Astronomy; returning to evening classes to do GCSE maths, physics,english,,a corrospondence GCSE astronomy course,,,A levels in maths, physics,, and eventually going to uni and getting a 1st in maths and then becoming a teacher. For me, this book kind of reads my post '95 educational life story. I often wonder what life would have been like if not for that casual walk around a city library 16 years ago and picking up this book. Such fond memories wrapped in fate.
on 9 September 2002
I teach GCSE Astronomy and am disappointed to find so little choice by the way of textbooks. It is great then, that Patrick Moore has written one and by and large it is useful as a teaching tool but I would not buy it for my students as I find there are several problems with it. Though this book covers all the GCSE topics thoroughly, it is a matter of opinion whether you like Patrick Moores style of writing. The book is quite dull and colourless and the prose a little protracted with no clear sections, making it difficult to find a reference point within a chapter. GCSE age students find this textbook very difficult to use and I am not the only teacher of Astronomy to think so. However, it is the only textbook I have found so far that is written for GCSE Astronomy and I am grateful that Patrick Moore appreciated the need for it and is supporting this excellent course.
on 6 June 2009
I'm 13 and can understand this book. I thought from another review that it might be difficult to understand but didn't find this to be the case.It covered all i needed for the exam and was in logical order.As there aren't any other books available for revision go for it.
on 13 May 2009
I bought this book to help my son with his GCSE revision. There are very few books out there on GCSE level astronomy (only one exam board offers it I think), however this is an excellent book, also for anyone interested in Astronomy.

I started reading it in order to help ask questions for his revision, and found it hard to put down. It is very readable, straight-forward and builds knowledge in right-size steps. Most sections have revision style questions at the end, and well worked out examples for the calculations of astronomical time.

I hear the syllabus for astronomy is changing next year, however, this is still a very good book and cannot recommend it more highly.
on 21 December 2011
I found this an excellent book to work through, although it could have benefited from some editing. In particular Chapter 5 is very difficult to understand, and Chapter 8, Question 4(b) is ambiguous. In view of the recent developments in Astronomy it is surely time for an update.