on 15 October 2011
I received this today and it is already my favorite book. Unlike other cake decorating books which focus on making specific cakes, this book is all about different technique and skills to use when making your own cakes. There are some gorgeous cakes in the book but it's a fantastic reference for build on your own skills. I can't wait to try them all out!
11 comment| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2011
This has to be one of the most comprehensive sugarcraft technique books on the market at the moment. It covers every type of cake or cookie, and covers so many techniques in an easy to read, easy to follow user friendly way. The cakes are unique and modern, unlike many of the books on the market at the moment. I would highly recommend this book for beginners and experts alike - there's something for everyone in here.
on 26 October 2011
I'd highly recommend this book - lots of interesting advice and easy to follow instructions to create wonderfully impressive designs, relatively easily. I'm looking forward to trying them all out!
on 10 October 2013
I am a beginner searching for a cake decorating book to guide me through the whole process and the techniques of using sugarpaste etc. I did some research before my purchase, I read the reviews, I got amazed by the cover and the images of the book and I was a bit misguided from the book's title. By the time I got it I understood this was not a bible at all. It explains little about a lot of stuff but certainly not enough and not about everything. Hand modeling of people and animals is not mentioned at all, neither is wrapping cakes with chocolate using transfer sheets. That goes for the word bible. When I read about a Cake Decorating Bible I expect a book that talks about all the techniques in cake decorating.
Yesterday I tried to make my own sugarpaste with the recipe in page 20 (it was not the first time I made sugarpaste but until yesterday I was using a recipe I found online and I though to trust my new book's recipe and make a more professional looking rolled fondant)and it was a nightmare! I did everything the book said but the sugarpaste was really hard to work with. It took me almost an hour to form a dough I could actually work with and it was neither shiny or pretty. I tried to find more info in Lindy's blog as suggested in the book but all I could find was class' advertising posts.
To conclude. This is a good book for those already experienced in cake decorating who would like to get some interesting ideas. Not a book for beginners who want a guide book and definately not a bible.
on 12 January 2012
Inspirational to those who have a little know how - not so good with beginners ! A good book to have and new ideas to work with.
on 19 October 2011
Got this book today and its just amazing. It covers so many techniques for cakes and cookies and each one in great detail and has lots of pictures. I have got lots of cake decorating books and this is the best yet. it is great for people who need new and refreshing ideas... its all very up-to -date with all the latest products -like stencils. I would recommend this to anyone who loves cake!
on 21 April 2012
I bought this book for advice and inspiration on wedding cakes. I'm just about to produce my fourth , this time for a bride wanting something a little less traditional, and, therefore, requiring something more adventurous in terms of icing ideas and skills. Now with this book for guidance, I've successfully tried new techniques, materials and tools (try the sugar shaper!).
But, be careful with the cake recipes. I decided that since the icing advice was so good I would try Lindy's rich fruit cake recipe. My trial cake was to be a 20cm (8") round cake using a standard 7.5cm (3") tin, but Lindy's mixture was way too little for a tin of that size. Checking against the recipe I've used to make lots of fruit cakes over the years, 10 - 20% more of the ingredients are required. It's also a pity that this book, published in 2011, does not incorporate the additional advice on cooking madeira cakes published on Lindy's website in 2009: [...]
Having said that, the book is a definite 5 stars for the icing advice, but I have to dock 1 star for the cake recipes.
on 15 January 2012
I have recently bought this book, it offers lots of new techniques and projects to try.. I have lots of cake decorating books but none that cover so many different skills. Well done Lindy!,
on 8 February 2012
This book is excellent for all cake bakers. Instructions are clear to follow. Projects are really good and there is a variety. I can't wait to practice with this book and make some special cakes. I would recommend this for both beginners and advanced bakers.
on 19 January 2013
i brought this for my sister-in-law as she makes cakes and has been to special cake classes on how to decorate cakes to perfection and thought this might help her. i had a quick flick and was amazed at all the different designs of cakes and the detail shown in their design. at first i thought they were too complicated for someone who is not more experienced but as i looked saw how it broke down how to make certain patterns/details so anyone with a steady hand could give it a go.
it includes details of how to make cakes of different shapes ie a handbag and topsy tervy cake, and also how to decorate biscuits and cupcakes and make them look professional. my sister-in-law was thrilled with it and was already planning on having a go at some of the designs so it must be good!!!