Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 May 2013
I don't make quilts - and I didn't buy this book to do that. I bought it because it has so many of the Heirloom sewing techniques explained. I am interested in learning and using Heirloom sewing to make things like Christening dresses, Bridal hankies, Bed pillows, cases and covers (not quilts), table runners, mats etc.

This gives you a structure to try out all the different techniques including small projects to make, not just quilts. I intend to make the squares into a reference book for future projects - but you never know I just might be tempted into making a quilt it looks so lovely.

If you want another book on Heirloom techniques then Fine Machine Sewing by Carol Ahles is also really good. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1561585866/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
on 3 May 2012
I bought this book after seeing a picture of the beautiful 'Trapunto cushion' in another publication. This is not a book for the absolute beginner, but if you're ready to take your quilting/needlework to a new level, there is plenty here to keep you busy and improve your skills. Much of the emphasis is on machine techniques, including the use of a wide range of fancy stitches, cutwork, fagotting, smocking, puffing (yes, really!), pintucks and stuffed and corded quilting. While the Heirloom Quilt itself is a pretty demanding project, there are plenty of suggestions for smaller pieces using the same techniques. I have now made a pair of 'Trapunto cushions' and did find the instructions a little out in one or two places - surely you should stuff the centre and sew up the slit BEFORE attaching the calico backing! Nonetheless, I'm very pleased with the results. A word of warning - I have a mid-range sewing machine with which I've hitherto been pretty satisfied, but I must admit that I'm beginning to covet something a bit more ambitious (and expensive!)....
I am really pleased with this book. I have quite a collection of quilting books but this one is by far the more informative than any of the others.

I have learnt some new and interesting techniques that I have not seen before. The instructions are well laid out and easy to follow. I am looking forward to using the fancy stitches on my machine. This book comes thoroughly recommended.
on 23 November 2011
This book is not for the feint hearted! It is for perfectionists.
The standard of workmanship is awesome but it offers a step by step
method of all the techniques used with smaller projects to try the
techniques out on first. It offers beautiful pictures of projects and techniques,
sound instructions and patterns. This book is for those who wish to expand
on existing knowledge or want to try different techniques.
It is unique and offers the intermediate sewer a meaty challenge. 'Well Done'
Mz Ineson for sharing your work and presenting it in a very pleasing way.
on 19 July 2010
Blokes don't normally make a load of quilts, but my wife does, and she tells me that this book is wonderful.
It's very well illustrated and the projects are very easy to follow. This is largely helped by the excellent templates included, and it all adds up to a book that she would not be without.

Strongly recommended.
on 3 March 2017
I was going to a quilting class, unfortunately I fell ill and was in the middle of a project taken from this book. I am now able to complete the project as I cannot return to the class as they have moved in. Thank you
on 29 April 2016
Excellent book. Absolutely pristine condition. Arrived quickly. The content is graded so even a beginner can start. I love the quality of heirloom sewing and with this book I can take it to the next level. .
on 20 November 2016
Be prepared after reading this book, you will become hooked. Some sewing knowledge is needed, but it doesn't have to be advanced knowledge. More things to make than the quilt, but it's the sewing techniques that are amazing.
on 27 April 2016
This is the most beautiful book of quilts. It gives
clear instruction and diagrams and I cannot wait to give it a go and learn new techniques along the way.
on 16 November 2012
Excellent book definitely not for novice quilters, I've been patchwork & quilting for about three years now & I've found that this book stretches me to my present limit. I have practiced one of the projects & am well pleased with the result, I will one day make it completeley, because when finished it will be beautiful.
Shirley Wilkinson