on 5 August 2011
I have had this book a while now but have only made one item from it, the purse, which has a clever way of creating a lining I have not come across before. I have seen Poppy's products in shops and love them but the book although lovely, has not inspired me enough to get the sewing machine out. There are a lot of sewing craft books with similar projects and I suppose you can only have so many book covers, blankets, bags & purses. This book is different in that it uses free machine embroidery & applique to decorate the items, in the Poppy Treffry style.
on 9 June 2017
Gorgeous book, so much inspiration!
on 20 July 2017
Lovely book, very easy to follow.
on 28 November 2013
Really pleased with this book. Useful with lots of colourful Ideas and tips. Also templates in the back. Would definitely recommend
on 3 May 2011
I love the idea that Poppy is sewing with an old singer machine; I thought *mine* was the oldest machine in use ;-) She explains everything in a easy going way that would inspire confidence even in a novice. I really like the ideas behind the freestyle embroidery although I do feel her project ideas are a little bit boring. However it is a good buy even if you ignore the 50% of the book that contain these.
on 31 March 2010
I cant rate this book highly enough! It is worth every penny, there are so many great ideas, and really down to earth instructions!
I have tried many of the projects in the book, including coffee pot covers, bags and purses, and picnic blanket! All have turned out brilliantly!
The book contains loads of patterns too, so an amazing investment for loads of projects!!
Buy it...you wont be dissapointed!!!
on 12 February 2010
I love Poppy Treffry's style, and have admired her tea cosies I've seen in a local designer gallery. Following that, I got this book - which is fantastic, and has lots of great ideas for appliqué projects. As a beginner I found the hints at the beginning very helpful before moving on to the more detailed projects. I have made several of the projects now including the door stop, apron tea cosie and book cover, and have been very pleased with the results - I think they look as good as the original ones. I highly recommend this book to anyone who also loves Poppy's style. The only drawback I would say is that some of the instructions for the projects are a bit vague, as are the pictures of how to fit the different parts of the pattern together, which I feel is a problem if you don't have experience doing this before.
on 31 October 2010
I treated myself to this book as I am a huge fan of Poppy Treffry. She has such an individual style and the book really illustrates this. The photographs are lovely and clear and the instructions simple and straightforward. I haven't made anything yet but I have read the book and understand the methods and instructions as she uses simple phrases and no jargon. If you're looking for something a bit different that will allow you to experiment and find your own style then this is the book for you.
Gorgeous well laid out book - take it out on a rainy day and pore over the pics - enough to cheer up a grey day and make you want to rummage through your fabric and get started!
on 2 March 2011
Loved this book. I have only recently started machine sewing and found this book very inspiring and full of some great ideas. It is easy to follow and beautifully presented. I have completed one project so far, (machine sewn applique gift cards) and can highly recommend it.
VINE VOICEon 6 December 2009
Poppy's work has a distinctive style that I adore. I own a few of her pieces, and have studied them before with an eye to 'doing-it-myself'. Now she shares all the titbits on how to do exactly that. Whilst the book is based around machine embroidery (and EVERYTHING is machined) I see no reason why the projects could not be adapted to hand stitching; they'd be equally pretty but take a lot longer!

The book takes you through the whole process, from 'Basic kit' required to 'Projects'. As something of a sewing machine novice I found the information on 'Getting started and Techniques' particularly useful - Poppy really does tell you exactly how to do it all. Techniques range from shading to applique, and from dealing with edges to finishing your embroidery. Poppy also includes a useful section on troubleshooting; I haven't needed it yet, but it's nice to know it's there! Guidance on fabrics is also given - this is really useful to a novice like me as it helps to know what to ask/look for rather than going by feel and what looks nice.

Projects include:

Greetings Cards
Whimsical Wall Tidy
Beautiful Breakfast Cosies
Perfect Pinny and Hairband
Extra Comfy Cushions
Fresh-as-a-Daisy Curtains

I haven't actually completed a project yet - I'm still at the 'playing' around stage (which Poppy recommends), but I'm still very pleased with my results. I don't think I'll ever be able to sign my name with a sewing machine (as Poppy does....), but I am more than confident that all the projects are within my expertise. Not only that my mind is already racing ahead with the inspiration that Poppy has sparked. Delighted with the book and grateful that she decided to share with us!