on 13 October 2010
I have done some basic cake decorating and sugarcraft but I wanted to advance to sugarcraft flowers with a view to making a wedding cake.
I was not disappointed! This book takes you from the recipes for the cake bases (sponges need to be more dense to hold the icing) through all the required tools and on to all the variety of decorative options.
The guide to the decorative techniques is fantastic, very clear step-by-step pictures together with excellent notes. I particularly like the section on how to design a wedding cake.
Although I have an artistic background, this book is so clear and cutters now readily available, with the aid of this book I truly believe that anybody could do it!
My only caviat is the title; a 'bible' implies that you won't need another book, but I would imagine that anyone wanting to decorate cakes for a living or more seriously would need to get another more indepth book specifically on sugarcraft flowers, probably another of Dunn's books, hence the 4 stars (it wouldn't let me give 4.5). Ironically, with a different, less ambitious title I would have given 5 stars.
However, that said, if you can only buy one book on cake decorating for special occasions, then this would have to be it. Not only suitable for weddings, this can be used for birthdays, anniversarys, christenings etc. Definitely one to buy, but as you progress you'll need another, so not quite a 'bible'.
on 17 September 2017
Amazing book.
on 6 April 2017
Useful tips
on 8 January 2017
Received Thank you very much.
on 19 July 2009
I'm working on my first wedding cake for my brothers wedding in August 09. This book has been invaluable to me.
There are lots of different techniques explained and it helped me decide which kind of decoration to use.
I've decided on sugarcraft roses. The book shows you step by step how to make them.
It was definately worth buying this book as a novice cake maker!
on 13 March 2011
I bought this book as I was looking for a good, comprehensive guide to take me from the beginning of my hobby and through to more advanced stages - it did not disappoint.

The book covers everything that a cake maker/ decorator could want; including cake recipes, size and portion guides, recipes for various kinds of fillings, icings and toppings before moving onto an extensive section on cake decoration itself.

The book is well organised and seems to follow a sequence of increasing difficulty. The clear instructions and many pictures make it easy to follow and you will be surprising yourself with your decorations, particularly the intricate sugarcraft flowers before too long.

There are probably books out there that cover each individual section of this book in greater detail. However the fact that this book is so comprehensive, and has a sufficient level of depth to keep the reader occupied for a considerable length of time, makes this book a must buy.
on 28 April 2009
This is a fantastic book, although i have no previous experience of making sugar flowers, it really explains every step in detail and makes it look easy! as the previous review mentioned that it really has a lot of sections and is a brilliant 'all in one' book, if you can only afford one book get this one!
on 14 April 2009
Alan Dunn's new book is a summary of all techniques and basic recipes that are fundamental for creating a well-decorated cake. So you find embrossing, stencilling, piping, gelatine work, brush embroidery, moulds and of course the main sugarflowers. Really recommendable for having it all in one book. Very detailed description and pictures.
on 7 October 2009
This book has shown me some great tips and new ideas. Step by step instructions make it a pleasure to work from. Does not have to be just for wedding cakes can be utilised for all types.The Wedding Cake Decorator's Bible: A Resource of Mix-and-Match-Designs and Embellishments
on 6 March 2011
I have a couple of Alan Dunn's sugar flower books. They are beautiful & he is one of the best in this field. However, I tend to look at the pictures in awe but don't actually try to make many of them. This book is different as it covers many areas in step-by-step fashion. The flowers he covers in the book look stunning without being too complicated. There are tips for cake decorators of all abilities and I think it is a great book to refer to.