on 21 January 2011
A tongue-in-cheek purchase that turned out to be a gem. Lee Frost really
does try to author interesting and fresh photography books, with his 50 projects
he has done it again. The book presents neatly presented and inspirational
projects dealing with a diverse range of subjects. I am sure there will be
of plenty of digital only advocates who may not want use the film suggestions
but the idea of the book is to get you out of the point and shoot doldrums
and get discipline into your photography endeavours without stifling creativity.

I would certainly recommend this to anyone who is willing to try new ways with
their imaging making.
on 27 July 2010
I am a professional photographer, and, slightly arrogantly - didn't really think that much of this book when given it recently as a present.
. . . Big mistake! This book is a revelation.
Firstly - none of the 50 suggestions are rocket science. Most people who own a camera of any sort will be able to get through something in this book with some success.
Whether using film or digital media, all of Lee's suggestions are very un-exclusive. You don't need to be a massively creative person to make beautiful imagery - because the book will show you how.
Secondly - even if you are a relatively experienced amateur or professional - I would be very surprised if you were already aware of ALL the techniques in this book. Many are well-known. Some are quite commonplace
- but a lot are simple, easy-to-understand but creative practices. With not too much difficulty, your results should be a presentable, even 'frame-able' image & isn't that really what most people are after when doing personal work?

If you buy this book, or are bought it - set aside some spare time. You are likely to be making quite a lot of beautiful pictures in the near future!
on 25 February 2010
An interesting book with a lot of different ideas. The author wrote this book after being "stuck in a rut" with his photography, I bought it whilst feeling the same. I don't think that all the "projects" in here really are (eg - buy a Holga), but there's certainly plenty of inspiration. Now it's just a case of getting out and shooting...
on 27 April 2011
From the perspective of an amateur snapper that has yet to learn all of the tricks of the trade, this is a fantastic book!

It is full of useful information and some really great ideas to help kickstart or advance your hobby so even if you have a fair bit of experience, then it's definately worth a look.

Although if you are very advanced in your craft, please don't be put off by my comments. This could well be usefull for even the most professional photographer, I'm just a little too green to be able to say.
on 14 March 2011
Buying a new camera is not the way to jolt your way out of a photography rut. So goes the general wisdom.

11 out of the 50 suggestions here are about using a new camera (including a scanner). Using a toy camera is included twice. Panoramic cameras are included twice (once for vertical use).

5 of the suggestions are not about taking photographs at all: mixed media printing, montage, three of a kind, making a blog and using print-on-demand services.

It takes 5 sections to get across the idea of simplicity in composition: isolation, details, keep it simple, patterns and shapes.

It takes 5 sections to talk about light: dawn, dusk, storms, night and low light

That leaves 14 about subjects and 12 about technique.

One section is about "Taking a holiday". That's just taking the mickey.

All in all a lazy and unsatisfactory book.
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2010
This is a lovely book with lots of different ideas to test out. Also comes with direct tips on exactly how to recreate the effects/ideas.

A beautiful book with wonderful pictures throughout and great advice and tips - I am really pleased with my purchase :)

Would make a wonderful gift for the keen amateur or buy it for yourself!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 25 September 2015
Borrowed from the library - love the ideas. There's enough inspiration here for anyone. One or two of the ideas use different cameras, which I won't be doing, but I am inspired by the ideas and the way they are presented. I keep flicking through it when I am eating and thinking 'that's a good idea'. As this type of book goes, I think this is one of the best. Not all the ideas are new to me and some are quite basic, but it is the combination of ideas, presentation, approach that I like. I've been photographing seriously for 20 years but I don't have loads of equipment and I still found this useful.
on 24 May 2013
I suppose I was expecting something different. I expected 50 sample pictures and tips on how to reproduce them as a way of teaching you how to get effects. Instead it is a continuous list of photographic scenes - which are very good by the way- and what camera was used. Not really what I was expecting.
on 1 September 2016
Good book. Very informative and easy to follow directions. I definitely recommend this product.
on 27 January 2014
This was bought for me by my son for Xmas and I think it's a fantastic photography book. I haven't had much chance to try much from the book yet but I'm c we certainly going to doing lots from it soon.