Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Shop now Fitbit

on 5 May 2017
Good book
on 3 June 2017
excellent book
on 2 March 2009
I bought this book because it was recommended by a friend and I have not been disappointed. The book is a visual feast from cover to cover and the instructions are top class as well. Often one gets one and not the other!

The lack of supplier list did not worry me as I have been quilting for many years and already had most of the items needed (not that there are
many anyway). The only item I didn't have was the rectangle tool and Lynne provides a template for that so it is easy enough to make your own if you wish.

The new techniques for one piece and many piece units which can be joined to other patchwork pieces were an eye opener. I have already made trial blocks and found some shortcuts (and ways to save fabric) myself.

I am very happy with this book even though I probably won't make a traditional cathedral window quilt I hope to make something using the one piece technique.
on 10 September 2009
I couldn't wait to get started. I have done Cathedral window patchwork before and love the handsewing element. I have to say that I started making some samples using techniques that I have never tried before; the same day that the book arrived and I was really pleased with the results.
Not only is the book well set out it is a delight to look at. I have just finished a quilt and I purchased this book mainly for ideas as I promised I would make my friend something using Cathedral window patchwork. I am now looking out materials and matching colourways as I have picked the technique I am going to use; I did not realise there were so many ways to fold a fabric. Its like fabric origami. This book will keep me busy for a few years to come.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 17 November 2008
Lynne Edwards is a renowned name in quilting, both as an inspirational teacher and an artist. She has won many awards. In this book she fully explores one of the loveliest and one of her favourite quilting techniques - Cathedral Windows.
This glorious book shows over 25 projects from heirloom quilts, wall hangings, cushions, bags and quick to make pincushions. Often in a book of this kind, with work shown by the author and other collaborative artists, you can sometimes find that you only like one or two projects. That is not the case with this book. All the projects are exciting and will inspire you to get stitching straight away. These projects are very adaptable too. If you are new to quilting, start with one of the smaller projects. I'm sure this book will soon have you hooked. For beginners and experienced quilters alike, the instructions are easy-to-follow with clear diagrams and good photos of the finished projects.
Lynne Edwards and the other artists involved in this book, bring a beautiful sense of colour to the projects that the non-colorist can imitate. Lynne shares her secrets on making borders for this type of quilting, which is usually a borderless technique because of the way it is made. The basic method is explored further with suggestions on how to expand or simplify the technique. Learn the tips, techniques and short cuts of a true professional.
The one square folded cathedral window, the folded flowers, windmills and more have become favourites with me. This is a fascinating book with many projects that will keep you busy and inspire you to think up your own designs. I know I shall be trying quite a few. Surprisingly, there is no suppliers' list in this 138 page book.
on 11 June 2009
The book arrived almost by return of post. I had no idea you can do so much with what is really covering a square of material with a larger square of material. I can't wait to blatently copy the Flowering Folds wall hanging and then I will read the book to learn how to do it properly. It really is a super book which has stopped me finishing a quilt made out of old shirts. Maybe I'll make a Cathedral Windows wall hanging from carefully selected old shirts!
on 23 June 2014
Best book I have bought in a long time - and I buy quite a lot. I have never tried Cathedral Window quilts before but now Im hooked. I made the 9 piece sample to get the idea and have now designed a table runner using the different shapes in this book and am working on that. Some really beautiful samples - many with instructions too - in this book. Never knew such variety was possible with bits of folded fabric! Love the fact that you can machine (or hand sew) the basic folded blocks then hand sew all the windows which is such a pleasure to see them come to life.
One word of warning though - the pattern for the rectangular windows doesn't seem to be true to size - even though its supposed to be. I couldn't work out why my rectangles were coming out a little small until I drew up my own pattern - from the instructions in the book. When I compared the two I could immediately see why I was having problems. Having said that I still whole heartedly recommend this gorgeous book. Buy it - even if you have to pay full price. Its inspiring and gorgeous.
on 17 June 2014
This is a superb book. I'd wondered for ages how to do rectangular 'windows' and this was explained and illustrated so beautifully that I made a template and achieved a 'window' at the first attempt. Lynne Edwards books are always like this and I would recommend them to all quilters and patchworkers.
on 17 September 2016
The book arrived very quickly. It is in perfect condition and I am delighted with it! This book gives clear instructions of how to tackle Cathedral Windows and takes you through various ways of doing this and other similar designs. I have used this supplier before and will continue to do so!
on 17 March 2016
Fantastic instructions, pictures and tips. Thanks..this is one of my favorite quilts. I will take a class in April using this book. This is an excellent carry along or recliner project.