Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now

on 13 September 2010
This is a helpful little book for an inexperienced knitter but I was surprised to find that I knew more answers to knitting problems than I realised! Also, it is written by an American so there are some terms that are a bit different to the ones we use in the U.K. I was interested in the different types of cast-on (apparently I use the long tail cast-on) and I could see instances where I might use one or two of them. Some of the questions being asked were a bit daft, e.g. how to change from a smaller needle to larger one because the stitches coming off the smaller needle were too tight to pass on to the larger needle - obviously you're going to knit them on! - but I suppose if you really are starting from scratch you might need to be told this. My mum and granny taught me to knit before I was school-age, although it's only in recent years that I've really taken it up again. The book is worth buying, especially for a beginner and it is clearly illustrated and written and inexpensive so go ahead and buy if you feel you need some more instruction.
on 10 January 2012
I treated myself to this, and am so glad I did - it's saved me no end of stress! Only one thing I've found missing so far - could not find anywhere how to PSSO (pass the slipped stitch over.) The meaning is explained in the abbreviations glossary, but not actually how to do it. First off I tried slipping it back to left needle, and knitting it back into pattern! This is why I'm only giving it four stars. Other than that, clear and simple language, the most basic problems explained clearly. Small enough format to slip easily into my knitting bag. Brilliant!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 February 2012
This has no colour photos, but nevertheless it's full of very clear and useful b&w illustrations that convey their point very well. The index is easy to navigate, and after no time the answer you need can be found very quickly.

My gf and I have yet to discover a question that this book cannot answer - it really is that good.

The best thing is that it's just the right size to carry everyhere - totally great. Every knitter needs this book; it's just that some don't realise it yet!
on 9 May 2014
I have learned a lot from this and it is easy to dip in and out of. I have the kindle version but have also seen the paperback version. Whilst I find it slightly easier to flick through the book, the Kindle is great for having sat next to you whilst you learn a new technique and is easy to 'bookmark' pages to return to.

Although this is written using American sizes there are simple conversions and clear pictures. I have finally mastered the long tail cast on (who knew there were so many to try, and all useful for different things) and know why I should knit a sample before I start and how and why to 'press' my knitting after making them.
on 18 August 2011
This is a useful book for techniques you're not sure you remember (coloured slip stitch in this csse) but it would be even better with more illustrations, hence the four, not five star rating
on 6 January 2014
I wish I had found this book a long time ago, I have been trying to learn how to knit and keep getting stuck whilst reading the pattern, so the wool etc. gets put back in the cupboard until I have another go.
I bought quite an expensive book that I thought would help and this little book knocks spots off it, the other book is very pretty but very limited with the help.

I am now half way through a cardigan and have the confidence to try other things thanks to this little book.

Really well laid out, easy to follow, especially with the pictures and seems to cover everything you need to know.

Thank you to the lady who had the foresight and sense to write this.
on 9 March 2011
I haven't done any knitting for 27 years and was nervous about taking it up again, not being confident of my abilities after all this time. Another reviewer on this site said the book was like having a teacher in your pocket. On the strength of that I bought the book and it is so true. As well as the book being a handy size and having a reinforced spine (as it will get lots of use) the contents and diagrams are fabulous. There are handy tips throughout and various different ways of achieving the same thing depending on the type of item being made or on the preferences of the individual. My book is now called Stella in memory of my grandma who was my original knitting teacher. Thank you Margaret.
on 18 September 2014
I have a large collection of knitting how-to books, am a member of Ravelry, and check out online video tutorials. However, this is my go-to book! I take it with me all the time to accompany my out-of-house knitting. It's just the right format to fit in a purse. I have other books by Margaret Radcliffe. She is an excellent knitting teacher and has covered nearly all the bases in this little gem.
on 9 April 2013
I chose this rating because I was disappointed it was American, probably my fault for not looking up the authorship. So I had to translate some of the terminology so unsure whether I understand everything, it would be improved if English terminology was included
on 24 April 2011
Lovely book, compact but packed full of useful information and tips on knitting. Like the similar book on crocheting, this is wonderful to dip into, to search for specific topics or simply to read through to increase your knowledge on all things knitted.

A fantastic gift for all knitters but if you don't know anyone who'll treat you to it, just buy it - you'll find it excellent value.