on 9 March 2009
This book is excellent if you want to learn how to crochet. It explains all of the stitches, tells you about various fibers and has projects that are quite useful and good looking. There are well written instructions for increasing and decreasing stitches, working in the round, getting your tension correct, making button holes and much more. I looked at a number of basic books before picking this one out and use it as a reference book all the time. Instructions in the stitch library and in the projects are written out as well as shown in a chart so you can learn how to read a chart without too much trial and error.
on 2 July 2009
This book has some really nice patterns in it, and it has some great descriptions of pretty stitches I noob like me didn't know yet.

The problem is, though, that I can't afford to make any of the patterns! Most of the yarns used are expensive. The gorgeous throw in the back of the book would cost £120 to make. Ouch. The patterns don't have a good explanation of what other yarn you could use, and there's not really an explanation of yarn substitution anywhere. On top of that, if you -do- have the knowledge, it can be really hard to find a substitute yarn anyway, since some of the yarns have odd properties you don't find in just any yarn (the cotton/microfibre yarn being an example).

Sometimes substituting isn't much of a problem: it doesn't matter if a throw turns out bigger or smaller. But when you do an item of clothing it's a different matter.

It'd be nice if the book could be edited with more (cheaper!) yarn suggestions.
55 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 2012
This is an excellent book, but buyer beware.. this one seems to be the American version (spelling gives clues, fiber, color etc) and the American crochet terms are not the same as ours... dc becomes sc and trb becomes dc...
I bought this for a friend.. and to my dismay it was the American version.. not much use in the UK!!!
Luckily she is an expert Crochet person..
on 9 October 2011
I have knitted for 40 years but only started crocheting this year and this book helped me tremendously. its easy to use, diagrams easy to follow definately worth buying
on 10 January 2011
Bought this for a friend for xmas. She's a beginner and it was perfect. I am not a beginner and would also like a copy as it has loads of tips and ideas to offer.
on 12 February 2010
Overall, I am delighted with this book which lives up to its description. I am a self-taught crocheter and needed to find out the names of the stitches I routinely use and how to read and interpret the crochet patterns. This book provided me with this essential information and I am now able to read and adapt patterns to suit my own creative urges! However, as I am left-handed, my only criticism is that no reference is made as to how to adapt the stitch instructions - not essential but would have been useful!
on 4 January 2011
I bought this book intending to teach myself to crochet but it does seem to take a certain amount of knowledge for granted. Like Yvonne Kettler I was very surprised to find that the first explanation of how to form a basic chain is followed by a pattern for a cardigan so ridiculously beyond my skill level (with the laughable caption 'make this now'). Some of the other technical instructions probably make sense to experienced crocheters but left me trawling the internet for further help. I imagine this could be an inspiring book for those with experience but for the complete beginner it lacks easy practice projects and clear, systematic instructions to help you progress at a comfortable pace.
on 14 January 2011
THIS IS A MUST FOR ANY CROCHETER THERE ARE PATTERNS AND SO MANY HELPFUL TIPS FROM BEGGINERS TO TIME SERVED
on 16 August 2013
As a beginner i was hoping for a good all round book, for instructions and project ideas but i found the diagrams hard to follow, the title it self is very misleading, i have an old book given to me that has better pictures and easy to instructions. i would have sent it back but postage costs are just not worth it, i would not recommend buying it
on 29 May 2011
Excellent value and a great help for someone who has not crocheted for some time and lots of good ideas for projects.