VINE VOICEon 18 November 2007
As a complete patchwork and quilting newbie I came across Lynne Edwards' article on the cathedral window technique in a magazine and was deeply impressed by her accessible, well thought out and kindly instructions. This book likewise gently takes you through increasingly complex patchwork techniques with such reassuring comments such as 'if it doesn't fit, blame the fabric'. The New Sampler Quilt Book is an improvement on the first edition, giving real help with choosing colours and fabric.
on 24 October 2007
If you are unsure of any book to start you off ,this has to be one of them. ( the other i would recomend would be the first sampler book also by lynn edwards). the instructions are clear and well written, with easy to follow diagrams. A great range of techiques, i have done all of the blocks in both of these books, and constantly refer back to them for refrences . great start to any patchwork and quilting collection.
on 28 April 2008
this is the book from which I made my first quilt. Lynnes instructions are so easy to follow that sucess is guaranteed, this book took me from interested in quilting to completley addicted.A must have for any-one making their first quilt.
on 29 May 2009
Exactly what I expected, precise intstructions with pictures, I he read this book many times and now I have one of my own for reference. The blocks can be used in various projects, and will be in use for many years.
on 6 December 2009
This book had different sampler patterns that I had not seen before and I am already using some of the ideas. It will make a very attractive sampler quilt.
on 25 April 2013
I have recently started quilting, almost a year, did not at first want to do a quilt, preferred making bags and purses. At the class that I attend someone had made a quilt using some of the samplers in this book. I was bowled over and now want to do a quilt of my own so had to buy this book. It did not disappoint the designs are fabulous and instructions clear and easy to follow. I have now started to source my fabric for my first quilt. Can't wait t get started.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 November 2012
I've been quilting now for seven years and this was the book I learnt from: looking at it the other day reminded me how much I love it. In engaging no-nonsense prose Lynne Edwards takes you through twenty blocks, incorporating a range of techniques starting with English paper piecing and advancing in order of difficulty. By the end you will have covered most of the techniques needed to be a confident quilter (both hand and machine) including triangles, folded patchwork, seminole, bargello, various types of applique, curves, and foundation piecing.

These individual blocks can then be put together to make a sampler quilt, and full instructions are given for borders, sashing, basting, quilting (Edwards advocates a quilt-as-you-go technique for beginners), and binding (although mitred binding isn't covered). As well as including very detailed information on each block (several pages are devoted to each, with a full page colour illustration), Edwards also includes photographs of her pupils' quilts. I loved looking at these as you can see different colour combinations for the blocks, as well as feeling a sense of solidarity with the quilters.

This book is a follow on from The Sampler Quilt Book (which is a bit less advanced) and both books are now combined in The Essential Sampler Quilt Book.
on 8 April 2010
I am less than 1 year into patchwork and quilting and have bought lots of books on the subject, this is the best yet! Very easy to follow instructions, user friendly.
on 31 July 2013
A shorter version of the Essential Sampler Quilt book with the same or similar blocks in but the colours are different and I am glad I have both books. Its lovely seeing other peoples quilts made up of the blocks in the book
on 1 May 2014
An accompanying book to her first Sampler Quilt book. Clear guidance about fabric colour choice; the type of construction used for each block ; template making and all techniques. Suitable for quilters with either limited or no previous experience. Am currently making a quilt using blocks from both books. It offers opportunity to learn new skills and gain experience in making many different designed blocks, both machine and hand pieced. Particularly valuable when residing in an area where there are no local tutors available.