on 1 September 2009
I was fortunate to be able to 'try before I buy' this book as my library had a copy. Not all stitches are covered - I looked for instructions on long and short stitch and could find none, even though the stitch is referred to and used in the book. (This is an area I need more information on and is hard to come by). The stitches described seemed OK but I wanted a book with interesting projects to make and this book does not provide that. Most of the projects are mediocre or distinctly unappealing. The other thing I noticed was that in the pictures the quality of stitching was rather poor - as if done very hurriedly in order to get the photo's done on time. I am finding it very difficult to find satisfactory surface embroidery books - there are not many new ones on the market and they tend to be very basic. I am very much a learner, but I do have aspirations.

Unfortunately, embroidery has not had the same kind of renaissance as cross stitch has and there is not much inspirational material to be found anywhere, (apart from a few notable exceptions this is true on-line too). Books showing the whys and wherefores of stitches are obviously necessary but I would like some decent material to practice on before I start having a go at my own designs. I need something pretty to look at too! I don't think there are that many skilled people out there and those there are are not getting books published. I am having to rely on the older books and often there are no pictures and no reviews so it can be a bit of a gamble. Front covers can also be deceiving sometimes as they can be the only attractive design in the book. This book has one saving grace as far as I am concerned - there WAS a pretty decent design of a robin which I thought my skill level could aspire to. I was going to gamble on this one - I am very glad I now won't be. Overall not great. I shall keep looking.
on 18 March 2011
Bought this as I could not find the older edition, not very impressed.
Stitch instructions are shown well but the "inspiration" shows more how not to do it rather than now to.
Showed my class at embroidery who are all much more experienced than me and they agreed.
Do not waste your money go for "Beginners guide to Crewel Embroidery by Jane Rainbow" or an earlier edition of this one.
Hope this helps.
on 3 June 2013
Didnt like it as much as the previous editions not as interesting designs wouldnt have bought it if I had know what the contents were like.
on 29 April 2015
Very pleased with the book, its very informative, good diagrams, only had a quick look but can't wait to get started on my first project!
on 3 March 2016
Anchor books are all very good. Illustrations clear instructions easy to follow
on 20 January 2016
Good step by step instructions. I have many in this series.
on 18 May 2015
Just what I expected and arrived on time.
on 30 October 2014
A really good product delivered promptly!
on 20 November 2015
Great for stitching diagrams.
on 14 November 2014
My sister loved this book