on 22 February 2016
Considering that it essentially comprises a single stitch, it's hard to believe that knitting is just too large a subject for a single book. This one tries, and is a good get-you-started for most aspects of the craft but you will likely find yourself using trial-and-error to perfect the techniques explained here and then learning additional techniques elsewhere. Just three cast on methods are shown, and I know of (of, note, not actually know-how-to-do) at least seven others. Similarly for casting off, where a visible edge can be enhanced by the right choice of method (Russian and Icelandic cast off, q.v.). The stitch library is pretty comprehensive but there are many wonderfully decorative stitches involving two colours and weird stitching methods that simply can't be explained clearly by words and pictures alone - you need a good video (welcome, YouTube) or to have someone actually show you.

Where this book scores most as far as I'm concerned is that it is bilingual. The Americans have embraced knitting wholeheartedly and produce a wealth of patterns which they're happy to share with the world. However, they also have their own dialect that can sometimes lack clarity. This book explains what "yo" really means when increasing, with pictures to help you get it right. Priceless!

Normally I'd criticise the inclusion of a pile of projects in a book of technique but this time I'm more forgiving as they're grouped separately at the back of the book and actually produce some rather nice bits of yarnery to enhance your environment.

Oh, and for those who, like me, regard crochet as the work of a particularly twisted devil, let me point out that there is not an inch of space wasted on it, excepting the use a crochet hook as tool for picking up a dropped stitch (if you really must ...).

Nice!
7 people found this helpful
on 24 January 2016
I bought this book as I had loved 'The knitters Bible' which had completely transformed me from a simple knit/purler, to experimenting on stitch squares to doing patterns within 6 months. Unfortunately, if you are looking for this to add to your stitch collection after buying the knitters bible you will be very disappointed as the majority of this book is a complete replica of the stitches in the knitters bible, with the main different section lookin at intarsia stitches. If you are buying this book independently and are already an experienced knitter this will offer a good range of stitches. If you're a beginner get the knitters bible instead: do not buy both!!
7 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 4 December 2016
Nice stitch patterns, but the book itself is not very well done. US and UK spelling take turns (i.e. 'customize' but 'favour'), and the explanations as well as the projects in the back seem cluttered, as the author writes both UK and US terminology next to each other every single time (once at the beginning might have been enough). Stitch charts are mostly easy to read, but the cable patterns are unclear and so are some of the terms/term explanations the author uses. Also, dark blue yarn for some of the patterns was probably not the wisest choice - it is impossible to make out any individual stitches, just a blob of blue-almost-black.
On a personal level, I'd have preferred more stitch patterns instead of the unspectacular project patterns at the back.
All in all, an OK buy and, like I wrote, nice enough patterns, but wouldn't buy it again and wouldn't recommend it.
3 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2015
I am a complete beginner, never held two needles in my hand unless I have ever confused them for chop sticks to eat sushi with. But after thoroughly reading the instructions set out for each type of stitch, I feel fairly confident in starting. It includes step by step instructions along with pictures for each step as a visual aid. It also includes references for the the knitting lingo, which without I would have been completely lost! There are over 100 hundred different knitting variations listed so I won't get bored anytime soon.
2 people found this helpful
on 30 January 2013
I was very happy with this purchase. I was looking for a book which gave a comprehensive guide to both knitting styles and patterns and this book provides just that.

There are however a few downsides. Some of the patterns I have noticed have mistakes in them. I was following the instructions in words rather than the traditional pattern (diagram) since I had never followed proper patterns before and after a few rows I noticed that the result was not as it was supposed to be. I then started again with the diagram and it worked fine and I had to pencil in the correct guides. There are one or two patterns that are like this.

Also I feel that the techniques are a little hard to understand when they are deciding things like cast on/off and you can get a bit muddled. The diagrams next to them are much more helpful but only once you work out what they are really showing.

I feel these are only little faults in what is in general a wonderful book for beginners or intermediate knitters wanting to expand their knowledge and skills.
5 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 28 November 2010
THIS BOOK HAS SO MUCH IN IT, FOR BEGINNERS, AND FOR THOSE WHO ARE EXPERIENCED. I HAVE KNITTED FOR YEARS, TAUGHT BY MY MOTHER, AS A SMALL CHILD. SHE SHOWED ME ALL ASPECTS OF KNITTING AND CROCHETING,AND EVEN TAUGHT ME HOW TO KNIT WITH FOUR NEEDLES, WHICH FOR SOME REASON, I HAD FORGOTTEN HOW TO DO. I WAS DELIGHTED, THEREFORE, WHEN I FOUND A SECTION IN THIS BOOK, SHOWING YOU HOW TO USE FOUR NEEDLES, AS I SO WANT TO KNIT SOCKS, MITTENS, AND OTHER ITEMS, THAT NEED FOUR NEEDLES. THE STITCH GALLERY COULD HAVE HAD MORE IN IT, BUT HAVING SAID THAT, THE PATTERNS SHOWN ARE BEAUTIFUL,AND I AM BUSY MAKING A STOLE IN LAVENDER COTTON, AND AM SO PLEASED WITH IT,CANNOT WAIT TO GET IT DONE.AMAZON CHARGED ME 6.99 FOR SOME REASON, BUT HEY,WHEN YOU SEE WHAT THE NORMAL PRICE IS, WHAT A BARGAIN. WELL DONE AMAZON FOR YOUR AMAZING PRICES,WHICH LOOKING AT THE PRESENT CLIMATE, HELPS US ALL.THAT AND FREE POSTAGE MAKES YOU SECOND TO NONE. THANKS AGAIN AMAZON, AND KEEP EM COMING.
One person found this helpful
on 10 January 2013
Love this book. Am an experience knitter but somewhat rusty. Instructions are easy to follow - clear and well written. As with with most knitters I used to veer towards certain types of knitting that I had become familiar with (aran, lace and fair isle) but this book has so much information on different stitch patterns and techniques it has encouraged me to be more adventurous - the practice patterns are very helpful when trying something new. Great for beginners but also good for more seasoned knitters . In particular I found the stich library most useful - there were lots I hadn't tried and have been knitting since my teens. Would highly recommend this book!
4 people found this helpful
on 14 December 2012
Bought this as a pressie for a good friend who is learning to knit. It has detailed instructions on how to do the basic stitches through to the more complex AND where things might have gone wrong. It doesn't have many projects to do, but that's fine because the value of this book lies in having a single source to grab when you need either a reminder or a source of clear instruction; something most knitting patterns don't have.
2 people found this helpful
on 6 February 2012
Amazon delivered, as usual, within 2 days which was much sooner than the estimate. This book is brilliant. I have been knitting for over 20 years and this book taught me new ways of knitting. The guide on how to knit is not only written, but illustrated using different colours, which makes is so much easier to understand. It tells you how to knit the English and Continental ways which I love. It also shows you how to cast on and cast off in different ways, and how to sew things together using different methods. The stitch library is really great, and again the explanation on how to do the stitch pattern is clear. I would recommend this book to beginners and advanced knitters. The projects are also good, and when using different stitches, it gives you the page number to find out how to do it - brilliant! The back flap has an easy reference to stitch abbreviations, both UK and USA. The book throughout is written for UK and USA knitters. This is by far the best knitting bible I have ever come across.
One person found this helpful
on 2 January 2017
I bought this for my partner, She loved it lots to learn with lots of new ideas and techniques .
Easy to read and with good diagrams . Delivery was quicker than expected and arrived before Christmas .