TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 January 2014
Dorothy Wood beading books are usually laid out perfectly to keep beaders interested and inspired - this title does not vary from that and so is another excellent Dorothy Wood beading book. Sumptuous projects with clearly written and well photographed step-by-step instructions make this book a must have, especially for those just taking up beading. If you are a beginner, be sure to read the first 25 pages before buying anything you don't already have (from other crafts supplies stash) to avoid buying things you don't need, and not buying things you do. The photos are all crisp and clear and are an excellent intro to assembling the needed materials, supplies, and tools to produce truly beautiful beaded objects.

The lay-out of the book is what I find most useful - the first 25 pages takes the beader through an introduction to seed beads then to tools and materials and from there onto techniques including stitching (excellent step-by-steps demystify ladder and peyote among other stitches), looming (choosing, warping, getting those little beadies on there and then off the loom still woven together), and embroidery (beautiful photos help encourage would-be clothing and bag beaders).

On through the book in a logical fashion, the projects are presented as chapters for each technique and in a way that makes learning each new technique fun as the beader works towards a usable finished item. Each project is demonstrated in good-sized colour step-by-step photos - I especially love the great way she presents the spiral bracelet on pages 42-45 making it possible for even a beginner to create a stunning piece of jewellery first time out.

First up is using bead looms (bracelet, photo frame, and trinket box). The next chapter presents wonderful (and giftable) off-loom jewellery and shoe embellishments, and then it's onto bead embroidery for decorations, notebooks, and bags. All the techniques are shown in a way that inspires the beader to take the new skills onto their own designs.

Even more practical whilst fun if you love stunning home furnishings, there is an entire chapter just for gorgeous tassels and fringes, with some great projects to get you thinking about where else in your home you could use these - you'll never have to buy retail again on these beauties because now you'll be able to make your own!

Wire work is covered in the last chapter with some very attractive and practical projects consisting of coasters, candlestick embellishments, and the cutest gift bags featuring wired flowers, and braided beaded wire handles.

I bought this book used (Yea Aardvark Books Ltd!) but would have gladly bought it new - I'll be using the book as a reference once I've made the projects, and to share with my more advanced 'Little Beaders' group (ages 6-11) owing to the fantastic photos and projects. It's a keeper, and good for all beaders from beginners to advanced. Very glad I bought it!
on 15 July 2017
Nice book. A few nice home decor projects. Glad i bought it.
on 15 December 2005
When I saw the cover of this book I just knew I had to get it. From the picture on the cover I knew that what items it had stored within its pages I would just love to make. How right was I? The items inside the book are delightful and should encourage you to get out your beads and produce one (or more!) of the exqistite items inside. The written instructions are quite easy to understand and these are backed up with excellent pictures, showing you exactly what to do, if your anything like me I am to impatient to read all the instructions thoroughly and I just tend to follow the pictures!!! There are several things to make, all of which are really lovely. It would be for all levels of bead making from the beginner to the 'more used to beading' people. I really love this book, one which I return to time and time again. Trouble is I can never make my mind up which item to do next!
on 18 March 2009
The book is lovely and well thought out with easy to follow instructions and pictures, as per the other review and the product description.

Also as per the product description, everything to make the beaded sachets shown on the cover was included and looked beautiful - unfortunately the tulle odour was terrible and an undesired added extra.

I have washed and soaked the netting in detergents and disinfectants numerous times, and the odour is only now almost satisfactory (given that you wouldn't expect there to be any smell from the fabrics to make a pot pourri sachet!).

Perhaps I was unlucky, but if I had known about this problem I probably wouldn't have purchased the book and craft kit - I would have just looked for the book alone.
on 6 June 2014
This was a second hand book but the quality was good and the subject covered a lot of ways to make gifts with various beads . From seed beads on a loom to sewing them with wire or thread. Good for an ideas book and great inspiration.
on 25 June 2015
I loved this book, clear picture and instructions on how to use beads, not just in the making of jewlery but in other things as well from tassels to bead bags. Lovely hardback to,dip in and ojt of
on 6 November 2015
Nice book arrived safety and was well packaged. Nice ideas for some beading type jewellery, will be well used when I am designing my beading style jewellery.
on 30 April 2014
All went as well as it could go with this order. No delay, item arrived in condition as described and I have no reason for complaint.
on 8 September 2015
Simple glass beading book and craft kit. Obviously there was no craft kit with the book, but the subjects look quite interesting.
on 26 January 2016
Very interesting and informative book, have still to purchase a few more items before I get started