Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 April 2009
William Barclay has written one of these commentaries for every New Testament book, that look at the whole of each book.
For Luke, William really brings it alive, with lots of information about the cultural aspects about some of the terms being used.
Often multiple possibilities are presented as to the message behind passages, with the authors favoured then being concluded at the end.
Luke is done very well, and this book has been really great as both a personal read (on the train, in bed etc) or as notes to assist with Sermon and service preparation.
William also does his own translation, which is great to compare to some of our modern day equivalents.
As with all Gospel translations and commentaries, use with wisdom. I didnt always find 100% agreement with every opinion, but hey he's only one of us humans...

I have now bought the whole series and am working my way throught them. The 2 volume on Matthews gospel is my favourite to date...

Enjoy
on 11 June 2013
Willie was a great man and I loved to watch him on TV. Never boring, always controversial, never demeaning or sarcastic, he always had something interesting to say. He was provocative, always challenging and one of Christ's greatest ambassadors on Earth. Willie is sadly missed, but thank goodness he left us with a great legacy of written material. In this book Willie interprets the Gospel of St. Luke in an easily understandable manner yet at the same time challenging us in a thought provoking manner. As I read I can hear Willie's gravelly voice reading along with me. If you wish to learn about Jesus you can do far worse than read Willie Barclay's books.
Danny, Gretna
on 11 September 2013
I wanted a good biblical background as well as something to get me thinking in a spiritual way about God in my life. This book gave me that. Although I don't necessarily agree with all his points, at least I have a firm structure for my own thoughts. The layout is in small chunks for daily reading, but I often prefer reading three or four at a time for the sake of context. All in all I am finding it helpful. It doesn't spoonfeed, yet gives enough information for you to feed yourself.
on 13 December 2012
This book carefully researches and gives the reader the background story to the gospel narrative. The stories therefore have new light shed on them, and a greater level of understanding is given to the reader. I've given this book 5 stars because it is an easy read, yet full of profundity.
on 6 January 2016
Great Book if you want to study Luke's Gospel. I personally love William Barclay, of course it is more basic as it is not absolutely verse by verse exposition, still you find it enriching you deeply.
on 19 August 2012
Barclay has a straighforward writing style from an evangelical point of view and is consistent in his approach to biblical commentary. He is very readable and gives some useful insights to texts.
on 23 May 2014
So, so helpful especially in setting the scene at the time of Jesus as regards customs and the historic background of that time with very helpful interpretation of events.
on 13 February 2014
I am a biased reader of William Barclay commentaries which I have been reading for some time. I remember him on television many years ago and he impressed me very much.
on 26 August 2011
Bit heavy going so we never got to the end and bought different books for bible study. But good condition.
on 1 April 2015
Timeless Barclay! His New Testament Bible Studies have been a companion of mine for almost 40 years!