Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 19 August 2012
This is a very useful book for an experienced cook interested in paella, but it is frustrating.

Good points:
* It is superb on technique with lots of useful tips and hints. If you have problems with the rice being too hard, or burning, or not sure about how to get the basics right, then following the instructions in this book will solve all those problems for you. My paellas are much much better and more consistent as a result.

* Some very good recipes. I've cooked the paella valenciana recipe many times, and it is a winner.

Frustrations:
* With a few exceptions, the author doesn't explain where a recipe comes from. I'm interested in traditional recipes and regional variations, and he doesn't explain which are the traditional ones as opposed to something the author made up. And he has made up a lot of 'modern' ones, eg Indian-style paella, new york style paella, paella with foie gras, paella with truffles, paella with champagne... and so on. Knowing which of the 80 or so recipes are traditional and authentic would help a lot.

* A lot of the recipes are very complicated. There are too many elaborate recipes for fish paella (eg langoustines and morel mushrooms or red mullet and white truffle). I was looking for a simple fish and vegetables paella recipe, and there isn't one - instead I needed to combine elements of several different recipes. This is why I say it is not for a beginner cook.
on 29 November 2011
I also bought this book for my husband. We are both good and exacting cooks and were delighted to find a book so very precise in its methodologies. Living in Italy we have had to substitute rice from the Po (this has meant timings have had to be marginally altered) but the net results have been astonishing good. The stocks, while complicated, are worth the extra effort. Not often either of us has been tempted to give a cookery book five stars, but this is undoubtedly one of our best purchases in the last couple of years!
on 9 October 2011
Have only made one recipe so far but I thoroughly recommend this book as it was the first time I achieved the elusive caramelised crust! I had no idea there were so many paella recipes in the world!
on 1 September 2014
Thank you, Señor Herraiz, for showing the world that there is so much more to this dish than the awful things that pass themselves as paellas on the touristy shores of Spain; and for doing it by the rules: 1. only add boiling stock, 2. add it to the toasted, pounded saffron to make your saffron water, 3. don't cook the rice more than 17 minutes as soon as the water boils; 4. noras peppers should be torn in pieces, sautéed with garlic and oil, then pounded to a paste, 5. salt the stock, not the rice directly, 6. rest for 5 minutes at least, 7. get rid of those tomato seeds... the Decalogue of paella cooking!
on 10 July 2011
I bought this book for my husband who makes paella every once in a while. The instructions are great. There is a special section for making paella outdoors which explained a lot of problems we had in the past. The main difference is that you have to add more water because you make the broth whilst cooking. Indoors you add a ready made broth. Because the basics are so well explained you can make your own recipe which is great if you have a vegetable garden like us! And the book looks and feels really beautifull! Highly recommended, invite your friends and have a paella party.
on 26 October 2011
Very detailed book, I love paella, and I'm sure there are some wonderful recipes in here, it does tend to make it look rather hard though, but if your really into cooking then this is the ideal book for cooking paella, I've yet to try any of the recipes, but it tells you all about authentic paella. I never knew saffron was best used after it has been soaked, so I've certainly learnt a few things.
on 12 October 2015
Great book about paella and other rice dishes - only rice dish from Valencia could be called Paella (that's what i learned from it). Lot's of various tips about cooking in paella pan. The recipes are very creative and tasty - however some of them are difficult to achieve due to hard to obtain ingredients. Sweet rice dishes are very interesting.
on 15 September 2011
This is a really authentic Paella cookbook, with a good variety of recipes.I have made a couple already and look forward to trying many more.
on 25 November 2012
I chose the book because it appeared to be the most authentic Spanish paella. I was roght it is a wonderful book with good recipes
on 14 November 2016
What an be said ? great book - recommended to discover a few new variations.