on 10 October 2009
I got this book about a year ago and have since cooked quiet a few recipes out of it. They are all nice, simple, different from the usual fare, and, if my trip to Madrid is any indication, very Spanish. I love sitting on the sofa on a Sunday morning, contemplating, what I would like to cook.

However, there are a few shortcomings, I find. For example, one of my all-time favorites, Pan con Tomate, a bread with a tomato-paste, is nowhere to be found in the book. Neither is that wonderful chocolate dip that sometimes accompanies Churros.

But my biggest beef is the fact that the instructions are not always complete. Sure, I am an experienced cook, and if a recipe is headed "Mashed potato with chorizo, bacon, and paprika" (No. 232), then I am smart enough to deduct that at some point, you have to mash the potatoes.
However, in the actual recipe, it just says, at the very end, to put the ingredients into a dish and "stir well". Hm...

I have seen this type of thing several times in the book and it is really a shame that poor editing, or maybe poor translation, can spoil the cooking fun with otherwise perfectly great recipes!

Though I also have to scold one of the earlier reviewers, complaining that the recipes still needed a lot of extra spicing, to be actually hot. Well, this is a book about Spanish kitchen, not Mexican. Mexican is the burning hot one.
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 February 2017
Happy!
on 3 May 2010
This book was recommended to me by a Spanish friend and I was not disappointed, delivery time was reasonable and the item was as described
on 20 January 2010
I bought this book as a present for my son and his partner when they moved into their new apartment. Their feedback (pardon the pun) has been very favourable indeed. They use recipes from it almost every night as opposed to going out to eat. Usually it is my son who commands the kitchen but since using this book there is a battle between them to cook the evening meal.
on 9 February 2009
I love this book - I bought it for my sister who is a lover of Spanish food, and this book details all the staples and then some. I love the colour illustrations making this book something to look at for hours and never get bored of!
on 11 February 2008
I was looking forward to receiving this book after not investing in new cook books for some time. I am so disappointed!

Although it is a very large well presented book, it seems to be the Spanish version of Delia Smith's work, more suited to Spanish beginners. I saw nothing to excite me and get me into the kitchen. The recipes are too bland and there are too many foreign dishes represented. I was hoping for lots of authentic Spanish dishes and more sense of culture. I collect unusual and ethnic cookery books, but this let me down as no other has.

I would have returned this book, but it came shrink wrapped. I believe Amazon will not accept items with it removed, and it would also be expensive to post because of the size and weight of it. I suppose I will just have to sell it on at a loss.
22 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 February 2009
It is a must have in the kitchen for professionals and amateurs as a piece of reference.
on 23 November 2011
Just received this book but very disapointed, I wanted a book with authentic spanish recipes, this book is just recipes of When I read the reviews I was so looking forward to receiving it, wish I had saved my money, Will find out if I can send it back it was not wrapped so lets hope i can & but another one. If you want a book with true spanish food in it don't buy this one. (sorry for spelling)
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 May 2014
The general quality of the book was good with one great exception. The book was torn just inside the cover the full length of the spine and the spine itself was visible. As this is a large heavy book it would soon break apart. So book returned via amazon. I was lucky as the book was supplied on behalf of amazon or the cost of return would have been unacceptable.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 October 2009
A good overall collection of recipes from Spanish cooking that has the bonus of a series of illustrations from Mariscal.