Customer reviews

on 29 January 2008
Add this book to your collection, pour yourself a nice drink, make sure you won't be disturbed, and turn the first page. If you're like me, you'll drift through it, soaking up wave after wave of human emotions seeping from the pages. A bit over the top? No. The incredible portrait on the cover is a good taste of what's to come, but the content isn't all portraiture. You'll find street scenes, sweeping landscapes and more. Steve's technique is gritty but simple. The portraits are wide-aperture insights into the world of his subjects. Their expressions give you a glimpse into their joy, their suffering and, in places their desperation. If you have a soul, you can't avoid being touched by this collection. So why didn't I give a 5-star rating? I can't bear pictures sliced in half, and a few of the landscape-format shots are spread across 2 pages. To me, it's really annoying, but others may not mind. Apart from this (minor) whinge the book is superb and you won't be disappointed. Buy!
on 13 April 2014
McCurry is a genius of portrait photo. I came across this book in a shop and Amazon had it cheaper than anywhere. A present for my wife who is an avid photographer. She loved it as I do.
on 19 August 2008
The way in which this book has been put together and the quality in which it has is astounding. The prints top quality with lovely inlets detailing each image and a little about the man himself.
This is definately a book you will find yourself returning to so may times as each picture has so much that you want to take time looking over and it never becomes boring.
Mainly looking at Afghanistan the book portrays almost 30 years of images taken in a war stricken country without focusing on the worries but instead the general lives these people lead, taken by one of our times greatest photographers.
on 15 August 2010
I bought this book at an exhibition of McCurry's works in Italy, and simply love it now that I've had a chance to properly look through it. While I was already aware of his work, that is comprehensive, this is a real treasure of a book. It is beautifully set out, has interesting commentary on all the photos and, most importantly, features an amazingly rich and broad body of amazing photography. The book is beautifully put together, I'd highly recommend it if you're a photography lover. McCurry is a master photographer and you'll love the sumptuousness of all the images in this book.
on 21 December 2010
Wonderful pictures, mostly portraits, from Afghanistan. McCurry's exceptional closeness to this country, his friendship and admiration of the people is seen in the pictures. He has even been allowed to make intimate and honest portraits of women, as the one on the cover. Most of his pictures are from early hours when the sun is not yet up or when the light falls very sweeping over the landscapes.

The reproductions are of excellent quality. An outstanding set of pictures and an outstanding book!
on 27 December 2010
I first saw Steve McCurry's photographs at an exhibition last summer, and found them to be very thought provoking. We have an Afghan boy staying with us, and I thought that this book would be an ideal gift for him for Christmas. He already knew the images from the internet, but he loved them all being collected in a book that he could excess at his leisure. He found the photograph's very evocative, and has given us an opportunity to share his experiences of living in Afghanistan.
on 11 May 2010
McCurry brings us another atonishing collection of wonderful pictures, plenty of human vision and with a great control over color.
After a new reading, I have upgraded my review to 5 stars. It is amazing
on 13 May 2011
I got this book as a gift and I love it. As part of my art coursework this year I focused in on McCurry as an artist so I had a good idea of his work when I got this. Its so much better seeing his photos in print rather on the internet, just being able to pour over every detail like you can't in any other way. The colours are so vivid and vibrant, highly recommend!
on 1 May 2014
Whether you know Steve McCurry or not, I highly recommend this book. It is a journey through a both beautiful and rough Afghanistan and its diverse population.
on 11 December 2013
Bought this photography book for my daughter. Excellent value, beautiful book, I would recommend this book as a Xmas gift.